Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just need a little pick me up...

JimBJJimB Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Depression and Coping
Hello everyone...

I just had my second epi injection for a herniated L4-L5 disc and I am hoping for good results...

Dr. diagnosed stenosis and degenerative disc so I realize this may be a condition that follows me for the rest of my life (i'm 40 yrs old)

I have had sciatic pain on and off for 10-12 yrs and was always able to beat it back with exercise,massage and chiro but now I am unable to work and rapidly burning through my savings...I do have great support from family and I am currently living with my sister and brother-in-law who are being great!

I feel as though I am heading towards a surgery and know that I need to get back to work at some point...I am going to have to find some kind of different type of work as I have always had physically demanding jobs...

I am sure some of you have had to restart from scratch but the thought seems a little overwhelming right now...

I am somewhat functional and seem to be able to walk etc for a time in the mornings...but if I am on my feet for more than about 20mins or so the pain forces me down...

I realize the epi may yet take but I got zero relief from the first one and I realize the pain I lived through in the past was probably doing damage (I never had much health insurance, although I did have coverage for this latest episode)

I don't mean to ramble on but I am worried that the good grace of my family will run out if this turns into to a long extended recovery...

I appreciate this site a lot, although I have never posted too much...

Just feeling a little scared about the great unknown I guess...thanks for reading...and God bless...

• Jim that you are going through so much right now. I think that most of us had the same worries that you do at one point or another.

Let me share a phrase that my mom has always told me and I promise that it always worked out to be true. " Don't worry it's not like you will fall off the face of the earth".

It really is true. Things always work out one way or another and we always seem to get through it. It is great that you have good support from your family. I will bet that they will not put you out in the cold.

I know that it is hard to be dependent on others but hopefully that will just be for a short time. If you let yourself get too stressed about it your pain will only get worse.

Try very hard to live in the now and concentrate on getting better. The future will fall in to place. It really always does.
  • Jim,
    I feel for ya. I don't have an answer just yet, but you aren't alone. I do very physically demanding work at a steel mill. I like it and it pays very well. But, I'm a month after fusion surgery. I'm not working at all right now and I'm bored crazy. My company is still paying me, so money isn't the real issue for now, but rather the worrying about the future. Here I want to hijack JJGray's mom's saying and one my own mom uses on me. Don't worry about it, somehow, things usually work out. Yea, easy for mom to say, but really, is worrying going to help us?

I want to use this as an opportunity, if I can. Maybe I can get a positition with the company that isn't so physically hard on me, since those days are about done.

It's early for me, and even earlier for you, but maybe we can both look at the positive side of this. Sure I got a fusion done and I may not be the ass kicker I was, but maybe I can do something else. Sorry I am short of advice, but I truly do sympathize with ya. Hell, I've always wanted to have my own business...maybe this is what will be needed to get my lazy tail in gear and get it done.

Best of luck (to us both)
  • Back problems are certainly life changing. We at first deny that this is happening, get angry etc. It took me 2 years to finally get to the point that I need to learn to accept my new "normal" life. I tried several different types of jobs to no avail. Some of us find a job that we can tolerate, some of us go on disability. Whatever happens, making the effort to remain as positive as possible, to be grateful for what we can do and not dwell on what we can no longer do is so important in obtaining a life worth living. I wish you the very best on this journey.

• Thanks Guys!

Woke up to your messages this morning and it truly does help....generally I am on the plus side but so much time inside my own head makes me a little crazy!!

I'll keep you posted....