Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WWYD... re: going back on Fentanyl patch?

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Pain Medications
I had a bilateral nerve root injection on Tues. and I'm in more pain than I have been in for a long time. Last weekend I had to go off my patch because the Dr. wanted me in pain on the day of the injection. The withdrawl was not too bad, and in two days I felt better (of course compared to the pain I'm in, nothing would be too bad) I was only on the patch for about three months beforehand.

So my options today are to go back to the patch until I go back to the dr. who gave me my injection in January. Or do nothing, and continue to lay in bed 80% of the day, and barely be able to take care of my kids. I have four kids 10,9,5, and 3. My five year old is autistic. I have Christmas to get through, and I'm not going to get anywhere laying here.

Would it be stupid for me to go back on the patch. (for the record, the dr. who put me on the patch didn't take me off the patch, she told me if I needed to go back on it after the shot, then that was fine)

And also, I'm not a candidate for surgery. I was told the next step would be a TENS unit, but right now my insurance is not paying anything to do with my back problems, so I think that would be too expensive.

Any advice would be welcome??

• Are you having trouble with the Fentanyl patches and you want to switch to something else when you go back to your doctor? If you're doing well on the patches, then I would certainly stay on it. It beats being bedridden and unable to take care of the kids. That's just my opinion but I wouldn't want to suffer needlessly if my doctor said I can go back on the patches after getting the injection.

How long has it been since your pain started? Why is it that you are not considered a surgical candidate? If you have nerve compression, then surgery may be needed. Have you had a second opinion?