As of two weeks ago, I had a choice between two surgeries, a fusion from a neuro and a microdiskectomy from an ortho. I decided to go with the microdiskectomy because it was less invasive, the hospital the doctor worked at was much better and the doctor himself was much more responsive and didn't disappear when I had questions. Also the office staff were great. Anyway, the ortho scheduled me for a presurgical MRI. He had decided to do a microdiskectomy on L5/S1, which is my biggest herniation. On this latest MRI, the herniation on this disc looked a little smaller than it did in August. Let me explain-it wasn't gone, it was just a tiny bit smaller, about the same size it was in December of 2008. To clarify, I have had three MRIs recently; one in December 2008, one in August 2009, and one last week, and in the one last week the herniation had shrunk since August. Of course, my symptoms hadn't shrunk with it! Anyway to make a long story short, this ortho who had I decided was so great decided that I was not a surgical candidate although I have a new herniation at L3 pressing on a nerve (he said that one was too small) and a very degenerated disk at L4/L5 (he said annular tears are the gray hairs of the spine and there isn't anything to do about them). I don't understand how I went so quickly from having a surgical date booked and having my pre-testing done to being "not a surgical candidate."
Anyway, I tried calling the neurosurgeons office again. I hadn't told them I was canceling the surgery to see another doctor, I just said I had to postpone because of logistical reasons involving postsurgical care. I asked for a consultation with the doctor, because I had a new MRI and and therefore new information. He set me back a nasty e-mails saying that he'd already spent extensive periods of time talking with me (two whole appointments) and if I wanted to consult again I would have to speak with his junior partner if I wished. I sent back a very polite e-mail saying that I would be happy to consult with his junior partner and haven't heard a word. Surprise, the office staff is pretty mean anyway, but I thought the doctor was at least a nice guy. Anyway now I'm at a loss because all I have is a recommendation for a new pain management place and I have tried every sort of pain management under the sun, except for radiofrequency nerve ablation. I'm willing to give that one a go ahead but I hesitate because it's temporary. As for injections, epidurals kill me, facet blockers help a little bit but don't make the problem go away, and trigger point injections only work on my neck. PT is good and I do it every week but if it had solved the problem I wouldn't be running around to surgeons. Same for acupuncture. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or even any similar experience that they want to share? I couldn't sleep the other night because I was crying so much. I almost attempted suicide, I am so sick of this miserable life. I just want to go into a store and buy someone a nice holiday gift, but the only thing that I could carry would be a pen. Not a heavy one either