Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My name is Ken

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in New Member Introductions
I have manageable lower back pain from a head-on collision vehicle wreck that I was in, on July 15, 2003. My vehicle didn't have an air bag; therefore my my torso/right shoulder was twisted forward upon impact, while my left shoulder and lower back was held in place by the seat belt. I had a horrible pain in my hip, where the seat buckle held me in place. Thank God for the seat belt. It saved me from more serious injury and probably even death. The paramedics told me; they have seen bodies thrown from the vehicle and decapitated from wrecked simpler to my impact. I'm grateful to be alive.

I have 2 shift discs in my upper back and 1 bulging disc in my lower back. I went through 21 weeks of physical and rehabilitation therapy. I am managing the pain fairly well; as long as I restrain from going over the weight limits set by my doctor and therapist. After they set my limits, I had to test for myself and that was a mistake. I had to lay flat on my stomach, turn around in the bed and let my legs go down the side of the bed until my knees touched the floor. Then, I could rise from this position to stand up. The pain made it impossible for me to sit up, let my feet hit the floor and just stand up.

Being an independent person; after the therapy I felt pretty good, so I tried to mow my grass and that was a very bad decision. It put me down for about a week. I had to pay a lawn service guy to cut my grass for over a year.

In all it was about 3 years after my therapy, for me to get to about 80% function-ability that I have today.

No one really knows, what a person in pain has to go through and for how long there are continuous problems, before getting back to some normality.

I'm still not 100%, not even 85% and I hate it too. Because, I am a very independent person. I like to do everything that I can myself. Now, I have to get help for many things that I can no longer do alone.

I'm making the best of it; because I can't change the condition of my back.

• You certainly do sound like you have the right attitude. Sometimes we can not change things and are forced to deal with them the best that we are able.

I think that most chronic pain patients have had to give in and accept help with things that we can no longer do. But we also have to remember the things that we do have to be thankful for.

As bad as it is, it could always be worse.

Good luck to you.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it is difficult to learn to depend on others for help with our well being. ~X( once you let people in to help, you will find life much better for you. :D their goodness rubs off as well as the laughter and fun times that usually insue! so don't hurt yourself trying to do it "all!" give a little of the "doing" up to others and you will have a much happier life!! :D good luck in the future. Jenny :)