Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Pain!!! Anyone heard of "Spinal Creep???"

sgolsgissgolsgi Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi Everybody,

I have been suffering from lower back pain for nearly two years and cannot find any treatment to help it. It has been diagnosed as "Creep" and "Segmental Hypermobility" but no one seems to know how to fix it. Anytime I sit, stand or lie for a prolonged period of time (I am a student so this is tough) my Lumbar gets really stiff and seizes up as if it is sprained. I have been to numerous chiropractors and physical therapists and nothing has worked. I dont know how i did it but at the time i was in 2 basketball leagues playing 3 times a week, a bowling league and lifting weights. I am thinking it was squats but there was no single "event" that caused it. At my wits end and dont know what to do anymore. HELP!!!

• No, never heard of it.
    Who told you that it is what you have?
    I'd go back to that person and get them to explain in plain English what they are talking about.
    What use a diagnosis that no-one else knows about?
    Make sure you see only appropriate and qualified medical professionals.
  • I dont know what you mean by plain English. It's not a diagnosis that no one else knows about. "Creep" and "Segmental hyper-mobility" seem to be pretty well known amongst the so-called professionals but no one seems to know what the heck to do about it! I've been to 3 "medical professionals"--chiropractors, physical therapists; had x-rays, mri's, and bone scans. Maybe it's the "medical professionals" that are part of the problem. Three "medical professional" have diagnosed it as that so it is something evidently well known. It is caused by the L3 and L4 grinding together because the L4 evidently moves faster than the L3. I apologize for the frustrated response but its almost as infuriating to hear what you said as to have someone who has no idea what what physical pain you're experiencing tell you that it's all in your head. I know you are trying to help, and I know the majority of people have it probably far worse than I do, but if you dont have anything to add just a let a post be.
  • Sorry for you pain, I've been battling low back pain for quite some time now several years and I've never heard of this diagnosis. I'm not saying they don't exist just never heard of them. If I may suggest, if you say the problem is with bones in the spine grinding together, maybe an Orthopedic Doctor that deals with the spine could help. I think Chiropractors have their place but it sounds like you need more than just an adjustment. This is just my opinion, I hope you find relief soon. Let us know how you make out.

• I really appreciate your feedback. I think that may be the next step. About 5 months ago I went to some place called the "Spinal Institute," and I think the doctor that saw me was an ortho surgeon, but he wanted to shoot me up with a steroid--i think it was called depro medrol, which I heard very conflicting reviews about. The possible risk involved with having that done aside, i thought that was unnecessary. But I think you are right in pursuing someone in that field who wou;d take a non-surgical or non-invasive approach. I have been thinking about going to see this guy named Dr. McGill up in Waterloo. Heard he is the best. I got his book and it is superb so far. Do you know what is your pain caused from? He says that studies have shown that 85% of people who have chronic back pain do not know what the event was that caused it. It's crazy, my dad is 68, has degenerative arthiritus in his back, was a laborer all his life on asbestos pipes and he is in better health than his 27 year old son. Anyways take care and respond when you can. Thanks again
  • that's what this forum is all about. you can get a lot of support here and many different opinions and points of view. I don't really know what precipitated all my back problems but, I'd say it was probably a combination of things. Accidents, falls, 20 yrs of ground pounding in the military who knows. Every individual is different. Because of seeing the right doctors and having the right tests, I do know what the problems are. What I can say is that you should definitely try all conservative approaches to deal with pain available to you out there. Going to see the Ortho is definitely the way to go in my opinion. The steroid shots are not that bad and could potentially help you. They are used to help diagnose, relieve inflammation, and also alleviate pain, I've had several. Unfortunately they only helped me temporarily. Again, I hope you find relief soon.
This discussion has been closed.