I had Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion with Allograft and Protein Goo (cant remember the name) material and plate and screws C5 to C7 on 11-30-09 and am frustrated with recovery already.
1) This sorethroat and feeling of a lump is incredible... how long does it last? I am tired of crushing my pills and having anxiety feeling when I try and rest in certain positions and the salavia pools sometimes - I feel like choking. I was excited to eat eggs and toast this morning for the first time - so slow though!
2) I have had pain inbetween my shoulder blades and and at the base of my neck since the surgery - sometimes the pain shoots down the back alittle - hurts when changing positions and things so I assume it is muscle spsams... hoping it is not the nerves. Anyone else have this type of pain? I am alternating Vicoden and Robaxin.
3). I have tried every position to sleep in my bed and on my couch and cannot sleep more than 40 minutes - awaken in discomfort and/or sweating. I average 4 hours total of sleep by the time I resettle myself. I am ready to go out and buy a recliner at this point. Anyone have suggestions. I have to wear a rigid collar for 6 weeks.
On the bright side, I am no longer having the daily headaches on waking, right neck to right shoulder pain, or weakness and tingling in either arm / hand.
Thank you for any answers,
• Work Comp (Injury 12-6-08) – MRI findings 9-09) C5 – C6 Moderate Osteophyte Complex...40% Central Canal Stenosis > compression of spinal cord and thecal sac with mild signal changes within spinal cord; Minimal bulge at C6 – C7 > Indent of Thecal Sac; Minimal bulge L4 – L5, narrowing of foramin, hypertrophy, ligamentum flavum thickening
** They never looked at my neck since the injury 12-06-08 even though I had several neuro symptoms and headaches until I got to the right docotors on my own**
• Work Comp ( Injury 12-6-08) Lumbar-Sacral Sprain/Strain; (MRI findings 2-09) Mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis and central spinal canal stenosis at L4 – L5 secondary to ligamentum flavum thickening and facet hypertrophy
• 10-09 – ( right ) Sacroiliac Joint Nerve Block & Cervical Epidural
• Physical Therapy of Lower Back / Sacral Region July 2009, September 2009, October 2009, November 2009
• Physical Therapy of Neck Added Neck September 2009, October 2009, November 2009