Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

vitamins and supplements

neverstoppersnneverstoppers Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
well, i have looking online for some supplements that would be good to take after surgery.
i found this supplement that said it helps the bone growing process.
but i am not sure if it will work for fusions. all the ingrident sounds like its worth a chance.

also is protein recommended? i heard too much protein can actually be bad for bone growing

Standards agreement and posting rules
Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla

• I'd fall for these strange vitamin concoctions. You need good calcium and good nutrition for bone growth. Calcium citrate is absorbed by the body more readily than calcium carbonate, so make sure whatever you get contains calcium citrate. Probably a calcium citrate plus vitamin D would be a good supplement. Other than that, eating balanced nutrition with whole grains, good quality protein and fresh fruits and vegetables would be your best bet. Most supplements we take are expelled from the body in our urine. Ask your doc what s/he thinks, but I'd say a simple calcium and vitamin D supplement would be fine.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • If you're looking at these to help you fuse sooner or better. I wouldn't buy it. Personal opinion.

I just met with my neuro for my 4 week post-op. He used stem-cell material instead of BMP. I asked what vitamins and/or minerals might help. He said, none. Just eat decent meals, take a multivitamin, and go do your PT. That's it.

• For bone healing and growth the biggies you need are calcium, vitamin D, vitamin C, and protein. As others have suggested, your best bet is a multivitamin because it would give you these three biggies as well as the trace minerals (manganese, etc..) that are also necessary to build bone. A multivitamin as well as a balanced diet should provide your body with everything it needs for your bone to fuse.

Protein is also highly important, and immediately post-op most people need 2x as much protein as normal. Surgical stress sends people into a catabolic state so protein needs become higher. I would not worry about getting too much. As long as your meals are balanced you should be fine.

Of importance, if you do start a multivitamin and it contains vitamin K make sure your surgeon knows about it. Vitamin K affects blood clotting, and post-surgery docs sometimes order a blood thinner to prevent clots so they need to be aware since it is a potential drug interaction. Many herbals also increase bleeding so make sure if you do decide on a supplement that your surgeon knows about it.