Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need your opinion.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On 09-09 I had a L4L5 MicroD on the left with loss of strenght in the leg. Shortly after walking post surgery I noyiced pain/tightness in the right (opposite} hip. As PT progressed the hip got tighter. I currently have constant burning in the right upper butt and sciatic pain.
The PT speacializes in SI problems and does adjustments nearly every visit along with heat and E Stim. My NS did a SI injection 4 days ago with no relief. They both think its SI related do to compensation. It feels just like nerve to me. They dont think so. When I walk the right or non surgical side feels like its hitting the ground harder(left foot still weak) in the hip while walking. Almost like that leg is longer. I am icing every hour and taking Mobic. I am afraid to walk or excersise as it hurts worse. I have iced for 2 days with little relief. They say to keep walking and stretching. Im finding myself avoiding normal activities. Anyone else have SI issues with similar symptoms? Should I still get out and walk/stretch? Any suggestions on passive excersises to strengthen the weaker side? Im frustrated and need some support.

• It is possible that the leg feels longer due to one hip being carried higher than the other. This can be a direct result of the SI joints being out of alignment. There are a number of reasons why you can be carrying yourself that way without there being a physical problem with the SI joints.

Sometimes there is a compensation when there is pain worse on one side of the body. This results in ligaments and muscles stretching longer or becoming shorter, which can result in the pelvis tipping forward or backward...This type of imbalance can cause all sorts of other imbalances.

After my fusion I started going to a guy who does acupuncture and body work, among other things. He took one look at my feet and could tell that many other things were going to be out of alignment. Every week he would make some adjustments with my SI joints, and by the next week, one hip would be higher than the other. I had to break some habits -- I didn't realize how much I had been favoring one side, really my whole life. Now I have to remind myself all the time to stand with my weight equally on both feet, hips over knees, knees over ankles, feet pointed straight ahead, etc. and to sit that way, too -- not leaning to one side. Now I hardly ever need an adjustment.

There are a lot of muscles and ligaments that run through that area and any one of them can feel like "sciatic" pain. You might look into piriformis syndrome.

Do you get any relief when the PT adjusts you? Does it last for any time at all?
  • Thanks Gwennie,
    Yes, I do get temporary relief after an adjustment. I also get EStim and heat while Im there. The PT is good, but also extremely busy. Ive done two days woth of rest and ice I guess its time to get back to work. The frustration is the upper butt burning feels similar to the left side prior to surgery. They say walk walk walk that makes it fire up and sitting isnt good either.