Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

recovery time and pain

melto9mmelto9 Posts: 75
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I would love to hear experiences of recovery from the permanent scs. My pain doc said it's about like the trial and I am to have this Dec. 21st right before my son comes home from Denver. I want to be able to enjoy my time with him and I also want someone working on me who is honest.

• Everyone is different. If you're Doctor says its similar to the trial, I think that's disingenuous. With that being said, you will be able to enjoy Christmas. You will be sore, but that's to expected.

• I was up and around pretty good after about 2 days. With that said, i was not able to lift,bend or twist much. But i could get up and walk at a slow pace with very little discomfort. But like stated before, everyone is different
  • It really does vary from person to person. I had my trial for 3 days. The leads were removed on a Thursday afternoon and the permanent implant (2 percutaneous leads and RestoreULTRA IPG) were implanted the following morning.

With only ice, Tylenol and Celebrex, I was able to walk 10 minutes to the subway, ride the subway to meet some friends, jump in the car and ride to the pier and then go on a 4 hour lunch cruise on the Potomac. That was on Sunday. So come Monday I took a break and Tuesday I rode the subway into DC and walked around a bunch of museums.

So my point is, that it varies from person to person. Has a lot to do with the type and placement of the leads, as well as a persons inflammatory response to the placement of the IPG. I was "uncomfortable" at times, but felt so much better based on the pain relief provided by the SCS, that I was able to "come alive" and enjoy myself.

So yes, it can happen.

• I have an appointment to discuss the implant tomorrow and will be going ahead with the implant most likely. My biggest question is: What are the main restrictions after the permanent implant? and How soon can I, or can I at all, return to my job?

Job: Missile Technician. Have CDL(truck driving), repetitive lifting, light to heavy lifting at times, on feet for long periods, work on equipment and assets(mechanic type).

Is it a pipe dream to think I can return to my job? I work for the best company in the world and I love my job/career. I don't want to give it up!
  • I think the best person to talk to about whether you will be able to return to your job is your Dr. and the programming rep. My Dr. has permanent restricts for me on no heavy lifting. I have a desk job and I was able to return to work after 3 weeks (although it turned into 4 since I got the flu the week I was supposed to return). I was on no bending, lifting, or twisting restrictions for 6 weeks. Also, some of the other permanent restrictions include no MRIs; having to be wanded at airpots and other places with strong security, etc. One funny thing is that I set off the security at Target this past weekend going in and out(they just waived me through both times).

I am now 7 weeks out and very happy that I have the SCS. I have been able to reduce my meds but not get off them completely. My family has said that have noticed a huge difference in my energy level, mood, etc.

If you look at past posts you will see a lot of information about the SCS that has been provided by some very bright people.