Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain after surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello,
I'm new here but have been reading for awhile now. I have been battling sciatica(disc. degen., spinal stenosis and hern. L4-L5, L5-S1 and also L1-L2) for the past few years. Tried everything and finally had surgery June/09. I had a laminectomy/discectomy L4-L5(which was the worst). Its been almost 6 months and after a tough recovery I started to get my life back. Until this week when the familiar pain and tenderness came back in my right butt(like before)I do not have any tingling/numbness down right leg like before, but I'm terrified I will. Is this common? Anybody experience this? I don't want to go through this again. I have been on ice on and off all day but I really can't think of anything I did to irritate the nerves again. I pray it goes away.
advertisement

Comments

• is a doctor, so we really can't tell you for sure. Many of us have flare-ups or set backs along the way. Whether or not they necessitate more surgery is always up for grabs. Let's hope that you've just had some additional strain and the pain will go away soon. The ice is a good move. If it continues to bother you, please give your doctor a call.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thanks for replying! I have been resting for last couple of days with ice on and off. It has gotten better. Not near as tender to the touch as before. I hope I just over did it on christmas shopping. Thanks for your input.
  • Christmas shopping was not good for me either! Got what I call 'little shooters' (lightning-like flashes down my leg) afterwards.

You could really easily have just flared something up by overdoing it. You might take ibuprofen to reduce inflammation too. Glad to hear that the pain is easing though.
  • of my Christmas shopping has been flat on my back on the couch with my laptop on my knees. No carrying bags at the mall.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.

• I was feeling very stressed about how I was going to do my Christmas shopping this year, but I've done nearly all of it on the internet. No need to stress.
  • I never usually shop online but this year decided to give it a try. I love it! Only problem is now I think I'm addicted, lol.
  • I hope it's just a mild flare up too, so just continue to use ice and heat and take an NSAID or whatever medicine you have. If it still goes on with no let up and/or get worse with sciatic pains, then make an appt ASAP with your family doctor. If the pain spirals out of control or you have bladder or bowel problems then you go to the ER at once to be evaluated. Take care and get well soon.
advertisement