Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve ablation regrets?

QuiltinouslyQQuiltinously Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Gang,
I will have another round of facet injections soon. When these only work for a short time like the last ones, at least that is my assumption, then I'll be scheduled for having a nerve ablation procedure.

If you've had this done, did you regret it? Or are you glad you went through it?

Also if you ended up in more or less pain or no change, feel free to share that too. Was the benefit long lasting or very short? What can I expect during and after it?

I am trying to decide if I want to go through it or not.

• I have these done about 1 x a year and do get relief from it. It usually takes about 4 weeks for the nerve to completely die so don't expect immediate relief.

It lasts about 9 months to 1 year depending on how long it takes for the nerves to regenerate.

If you type in RFA or rhizotomy in the search box at the top of this page you will find other members that have posted their experience with it.

A member that recently had it done about 5.5 weeks ago name is kathyy. She has posted her experience here. I think it is under Pain Management.

Good luck.
  • I've had numerous RF Ablations to the occipital nerves and branches on one side of my neck/head. A few of them provided me with some relief and one in particular just really irritated the heck out of the nerve.

One thing that I found while discussing RF Ablation with a couple of my PM docs, Neurologist and Neurosurgeon, is that the medical community is getting some disturbing information in regards to the long term effect of RF Ablation. The PM doc who did my last round of ablations says that she will not do a repeat ablation on any nerve that has been previously ablated.

What is beginning to emerge more and more, is the fact that in an attempt to re-wire itself, the body does some pretty crazy things. Some now believe that RF Ablation may be a contributing factor in CRPS.

It's good that you are doing your homework, so you know what questions to ask your doc. If it weren't for my own personal experience with the way the body can rewire itself, I'd be standing in line for RFA's. Instead I am now very cautious when it comes to doing anything of the sort.

• Thanks JJ and "C". If I read just JJ's post, I'd be ready to go. And it could be a good way to go. But reading "C"s post reminds me that sometimes things don't turn out the way you think. I think I need to research more. Thanks both! This site is so helpful and it's because of the people!!
    Very gratefully,

• Yes ... I had an ablation about 6 wks ago. It did take about 2-3 wks for the nerves to calm down but I am much better now. It worked better than any of my facet blocks or ESI's have, thus far. And I will be having it done again in the next year or so. I have been told that when the nerves regrow they don't always regrow in the right spot so the next one may be
    a little tricky. Gook Luck.