Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does Tramadol help?

MKBMMKB Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Pain Medications
Can anyone tell me their experience w/ Tramadol? I've taken it before w/ some success; my doc won't prescribe me Tramadol and Vicodin together. It must be one or the other, he says. The amount of Vicodin he prescribes doesn't last me all month (16 pills),but he'd probably give me more Tramadol.
advertisement

Comments

• If you have had some success with tramadol before, it will probably work for you again.
    Tramadol has a maximum daily dosage of 300 mg. It acts like an opiate in relieving moderate to severe pain. You do have to be careful about what other medications you take or are taking such as other anti depressants because it can cause a very serious problem called serotonin syndrome .
    I would check to make sure that nortriptyline is not contra indicated with tramadol or Celexa. In fact, I just looked and both Celexa and nortriptyline are drugs that may interact with tramadol.
  • Tramadol does help relieve the pain but you will experience nausea and you'll vomit all the time..i know..coz we used it for my sister after every chemo session she has..before and after she has a chemo session we monitor her health using EDITED...then of course she will experience so much pain after the chemo session..so we use that tramadol..but i know her doctor replaced her tramadol with a better drug without that much nausea you will feel..im sorry..coz i forgot the name of the drug..

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla
  • I have been using Tramadol off and on for neck pain. It seems to help at least somewhat, some days it seems to have less effect than others though. I almost seem to have better success with Tridural which is a slower releasing form of the drug. It is supposed to last for a full day.

Kevin
  • Thank you all for your replies. I'll be talking w/ my doc soon.
  • I tried this and the extended release version. I found it very helpful with pain relief but it seemed to cause me extreme anxiety feelings. I stopped it because the anxiety was so overwhelming. I hope it works for you.
  • I have been using Tramadol for a while now (might be close to a year) and it has been a godsend for me. It is my primary pain medication during the day. I am one of the lucky ones who get very good pain relief from it with very little side effects. People will say I am crazy, but I honestly get about the same pain relief from Tramadol as I do from Percocets AND the relief lasts longer per pill.

The negatives I have are: 1) If I take Tramadol after 3:00-4:00pm I have a very hard time sleeping that night. That is why I take Norco at night, though Norco (same ingredient as Vicodin, but 2x as much) gives less pain relief for me. 2) Sexual side effects... ie- reduced desire and delayed ejaculation.

People's experiences with Tramadol seem to be all over the spectrum. Keep an open mind. You might be one of the lucky ones and it might work great for you like it does for me. I'm guessing you'll know within a couple days of taking it. Good luck!

• I agree with grandmesamon, although tramadol is effective as a painkiller it can (and did for me) cause feelings of anxiety, it also made me hallucinate. Due to the side effects I choose not to take it. As you have said you are going to talk to your doctor, that is the best thing to do, however be aware of the side effects. Good luck!
  • I've had very good luck with Tramadol for the more lower level, chronic pain. It doesn't do much for the more severe pain, but I only take 100 mg/day and have never tried a higher dose (always have taken Vicodin for breakthrough pain).

For me it's been great because I have no side effects other than some digestive slowing. Doesn't make me drowsy or anything. And, I've forgotten to take it for days at a time with no withdrawal/discontinuation effect (I've been taking it for 2 years).

Right now I take Tramadol and Lyrica for daily pain and Vicodin for breakthrough, and that seems to be helpful to a certain extent.
  • When I followed up with my doc yesterday, I asked for an RX to help me sleep. My sciatica pain gets progressively worse as I (try to) sleep. Then, when am ready to get up, I can barely get out of bed. The pain is excruciating. It is difficult for me to shower and dress, but I am doing it. Anyway, I took two Tramadol (generic) last night for the first time, and didn't notice anything! He told me it would definitely help me sleep, and should help with the pain. Do I need to take it a few days before noticing something? I don't want to take it during the day if it makes me drowsy. I am probably getting surgery in February, but I have to get my second opinion first.
  • It does absolutely nothing for me at all. I got prescribed 50mg of it for my gall stones and it's literally been an hour since I took it and nothing has happened. I got to the point where I gave up and popped another one and still nothing. Is it a homeopathic drug or something like that (placebo, or something?) cause I'm in some serious pain and this is ridiculous.
  • kimmy79kkimmy79 Posts: 6
    edited 11/08/2012 - 3:49 AM
    I have only had negative response from Tramadol. :( severe headaches, anxiety AND seizures!!!! I am not epileptic nor have I ever had seizures in the past but Tramadol caused me to have 3 Grand Mal seizures so please be careful!!!
  • maryelleninnj said:
    When I followed up with my doc yesterday, I asked for an RX to help me sleep. My sciatica pain gets progressively worse as I (try to) sleep. Then, when am ready to get up, I can barely get out of bed. The pain is excruciating. It is difficult for me to shower and dress, but I am doing it. Anyway, I took two Tramadol (generic) last night for the first time, and didn't notice anything! He told me it would definitely help me sleep, and should help with the pain. Do I need to take it a few days before noticing something? I don't want to take it during the day if it makes me drowsy. I am probably getting surgery in February, but I have to get my second opinion first.
    I am in the same boat my friend and the Tramadol did not provide any sort of relief at all. I am going to the Dr. next week to see if I can get something else to try out because I cant imagine living with this kind of pain anymore.
  • I was given Tramadol many yrs. ago and all I remember is laying on couch and having horrible hallucinations. Scared my poor husband to death. He flushed the rest down the toilet. Have not tried again but dont ever want to feel like that again.

kelli
  • Danny, have you checked out this? May help understand medicines available in summary form.
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/pain-medications/medication-101-spine-patients
  • DaveFusion said:
    Danny, have you checked out this? May help understand medicines available in summary form.
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/pain-medications/medication-101-spine-patients
    No I haven't but I definitely will. Thanks for sharing!
  • Peter BPPeter B Posts: 512
    edited 12/29/2012 - 12:43 AM
    It works for me, but I'd advise caution as it's easy to become dependent on it. Considered to be a mild opioid.
    A lot of people have an adverse reaction to it, especially the elderly. Hallucinations!
    Try a fractional dose regularly for a few days to see how you go.

I was taking up to the max dose, with the slow release at night, and still getting my pain.

The problem with the slow release is that if your pain level drops during its active period, you actually get a mild enhancement, instead of the pain cancelling that effect out. This is where the dependence comes in. I definitely felt in a better mood.

I believe I was getting rebound headaches from the Tramadol, so went off it. Had a some withdrawal symptoms for a day or so. I should have done it under my doctor's guidance though.

My main pain med is now slow release paracetamol, and I'll take up to 3x50mg of Tramadol a day as needed. That is half the max dose, and I'm not going to exceed it.

I'd suggest you try to get by as I do, and make tramadol your backup, not prime.
  • I have never had any luck with Tramadol! I have had better results with 800mg. of Ibuprofen with food, and using my tenz unit. I am happy for any one who has gppd results from it as I have heard older people do have some good results other than narcotics.
  • There is desperate need for new painkillers that aren't addictive and don't have awful side effects. Wish I was clever.
  • Hi,

I have taken tramadol on and off for years to help with pain relief.
    In the UK the standard dose is one or two 50mg up to 4 times per day (so total 400mg)

Firstly you may feel nauseous and a bit out of it, I tend to find if you start with one tablet and build up according to pain this doesn't last longer than a few days.

Secondly you may suffer from nightmares or sweats, for me this happened quite a lot.

Thirdly be careful, I was in a lot of pain and feeling quite forgetful, I accidentally took too many and ended up in hospital so now my hubby is my drugs monitor and makes sure I don't take too many (I'm on oxynorm as only 2 weeks post op at the moment)

In general I found tramadol to be effective and in comparison to say, codeine far less addictive and less side effects.

Best of luck
    Keewee
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
  • When it was my prime pain med, I needed more and more, and was taking other meds as well. After I went off Tramadol, my pain levels dropped sharply and my pain med is now the common old paracetamol.
    So no doubt the Tramadol was causing a lot of my pain.
  • When I was taking eight 50mg a day, I thought its releif was the equiv of two Aleve per day. But with lots of side effects, even after getting through the nausea of several weeks when starting up. The extreme dry mouth and dry eye never went away.
    C3-C7
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • Keewee said:
    Hi,

In general I found tramadol to be effective and in comparison to say, codeine far less addictive and less side effects.

Best of luck
    I had just the opposite of this, I was taking 2x10mg Percocet upto 6 times a day, I am presently down to 2x10mg upto 4 times a day usually a max of 6 pills a day. I've stopped the Percocet several times after taking for several consecutive months with no side effects. However with the Tramadol I have SEVERE withdrawl symptoms and I know this isn't uncommon. The worst being the restless leg that comes along with it. Tramadol isn't a schedule II or III drug in the US and most doctors find it as a safe alternative to narcotic pain relievers. From what I understand Canada treats it the same as narcotic pain medications and I think the US should also due to it's dependency issues and withdrawl symptoms. It doesn't affect everyone the same just as narcotics don't affect everyone the same, just a word of caution, be careful with this medication and keep your dose to the lowest possible.
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
    Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
    Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
    St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• I started taking tramadol one year ago for arthritis hand pain. Doctor added it to my gabapentin - especially at night to sleep. I found tramadol to be so effective, that when I had a bout with sciatica, I through the other pain medications away and used only the tramadol and gabapentin for pain
  • It upset my stomach, & I swear, made my pain worse! U
    For sleep issues, maybe try melatonin. My son has sleep issues due to pain. He's 10, but about 130 lbs, so the size of an adult. We were giving him Benadryl, but the dr said melatonin instead. Worked like a charm, & best part we found strawberry flavored gummies :)
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • Liam-182 "Advise Please" on the Chronic Pain forum was advised to take Melatonin & tried to buy it in England. He was informed that it is now only available by prescription. This surprised me because I'd always thought of it as a 'safe' natural supplement. A little research told me they will not prescribe it to anyone under 55 & it's been shown to have negative effects & many drug interactions. I will now advise anyone considering using it to run it by their doctor & do a little research. Things change, I used it in the past without a second thought. You should always make your doc aware of all medications you are taking even over the counter supplements. Not all doctors may be aware of recent research into melatonin, look it up & decide for yourself if the risks are worth the benefits please. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • MSGMSG Posts: 296
    edited 04/11/2014 - 4:20 PM
    As mentioned above, a dr at one of the best research hospitals in the world advised us to give it to him in place of Benadryl. I'm not worried about drug interactions, because all he takes is Miralax. I did notice on the bottle it said not to give to anyone under 16. He does weigh about 130lbs, the size of an adult, & I trusted the dr. Any idea on what the negative side effects are? Also, why can't it be given to anyone under 55? It's usually the other way around, a lot of medications are not recommend for older adults. If you get a minute, can you PM me the link to the article on this?
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • I just searched for 'NHS prescription melatonin why?'
    NHS is National Health Service. That's what it's called in England. They have their own web site, it should come up on the search list. This was news to me! You could buy it in just like you can here. To be honest I was completely shocked, I've told people to take it!! I'm just learning ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 04/12/2014 - 4:08 AM
    Sorry..I've found guidelines for doctors in the UK. They can prescribe 'off label' even to kids. I'm still trying to find out why it can't just be sold in the shops anymore. It's always had warnings like some other natural things. I remember having a list of 'naturals' I shouldn't take while pregnant & it was on there.
    Please let me know if you find articles relating to when & why this happened. The NHS site just lists the adverse reactions, drug interactions like any other med..
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 04/16/2014 - 5:39 PM
    I take 3 mg melatonin every night. I have such terrible insomnia that I really need it. It has been a great help for me and I'll continue using it. It can be purchased anywhere vitamins and supplements are sold.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • with most any supplement, or medication , prescription, natural or otherwise, and it is wise for each person to read about the possible interactions and side effects. In the US, melatonin is considered safe and effective, sleep medication, and our bodies contain it naturally......Just as we have the FDA in the US, I'm sure that across the pond, you have the NHS to monitor vitamins, supplements and medications and just as some of the regulations in the US make at times seem counterproductive, my sons neurologists strongly suggested using melatonin with our son who has a pretty severe case of ADHD. He literally could be up for three days and nights in a row on no sleep and be fine with it.........so the neuropsychologist recommended the use of melatonin and it allows him to fall asleep and stay asleep without the use of sleeping pills and other meds to try to get him to sleep......
advertisement