Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One month post-op check up

B52BB52 Posts: 247
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good evening y'all. Well today I got my first month post-op look see. Dr said he liked what he saw with the incision and the x-rays as well. I asked him if he saw any fusion happening yet. Nope, and he said it might be several months before it appeared. Donor bone graft, which I got for my PLIF, apparently takes longer to grow than if it were my own (autograft) bone. I am still stuck in that dreadful brace. Lawd, I despise that contraption! Mine has this added thoracic support piece that comes up in front of my chest and prevents me from bending forward at all. Is this a normal thing? He also told me that he'd have me put in jail if he caught me anywhere near my motorcycle for the next few months. Sheesh!
Oh well, all in all, I'm happy as a dead pig in the sunshine with my check up. God bless you all and peace out.

• I'm glad to hear that your check up went well. Did you have any BMP, or did they skip that for you? I've heard good things and horrible things about it. I had it mixed with my own bone marrow, so my fusion started really quickly. I'm a year out and am now totally fused. I would say you doc is right about staying away from the motorcycle. I can't even imagine trying to sit on one!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hey Linda, how're you feeling today? Ya know, I'm not sure if they used bmp or not. I do know that several hours in the car going to Memphis yesterday have led to a somewhat sore back this morning. Nothing I can't handle, but it's just letting me know to take it easy! Speaking of taking it easy, you do just that today if you can.

• It's great to hear you are doing so well - despite the brace ;)

One month is still really early I think to see fusion. Even with BMP I wasn't showing much for several months, I did end up completely fusing at just over a year. Good thing you've got that brace - got to keep you in line! Back sugery and motorcycles do NOT mix LOl!