Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My first time

bjaarbbjaar Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I am new to this forum. I've been reading some of the posts and am very grateful for this website. People have offered much of their own experiences. I have arthritis, C7-T1, and foraminal stenosis. MRI (about 18 mths ago) showed no bone spur contact with the nerve root. Seems like numbness and pinching are caused by chronic muscle spasms. When I focus on relaxing trapezius muscles the symptoms lessen or disappear temporarily. I am taking tylenol and muscle relaxants. I also find myself hooked up to my TENS unit quite frequently. I am 55, and find that my physical activities are very limited now. I also have disc bulges in lumbar spine. Will be seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks and am assuming she will order PT. It has helped in the past with both cervical and lumbar issues. While my doctor believes in conservative treatment, when I have asked her about foraminotomy she has a very positive response. I would like to hear from anyone who has had cervical foraminotomy, and what are long term results.I am very afraid of surgery but I don't think these arm symptoms will go away...Thanks for being here!

• and welcome to the forum. You will find a ton of support from our wonderful member community here. The talk of surgery or surgery itself can be a very scary thing indeed.....but this is not something that you will have to go through alone....you have all of us now. If there is ever anything that I can do for you then please fell free to just let me know. Also , please keep us posted on how you are doing and what you may or may not have coming up....take care.....Miki
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm glad you found us, but sorry you're having problems.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about a cervical foraminotomy, but if you go to the top of the page and type this in the search area, there will be a lot of results for info on this site about it, including a video and previous posts from people that were/are about to have it done or did have it done.

Take care,
  • Miki, thanks for the support!

• Thanks, Cath. I have checked the topic and I'll continue to do so.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad you stopped by. this is a great place to learn all about your questions and meet wonderful spineys. :D whether to chat or vent or just to hang and listen there is always someone around to listen. good luck as you move forward on your pain journey. :D i am only a few years younger than you and suffer from arthritis as well. :( see you around. :D Jenny :)
  • Thanks for replying. It has been difficult to deal with lately. Lots of muscle spasms, numbness and nerve irritation. I am not sure how I will go for the rest of my life like this. A year ago I had "recovered" from a flare-up and didn't have to take any medication. Now it just seems like I can't keep the symptoms to a minimum if I do the things that I want to do, and acting cautiously at that. But the forum is giving me some ideas, and creativity and hope go together. My time is almost up, I am setting a timer so I don't spend too much time on any activity. Hope to talk to you again.