Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

health insurance ? Discogram and PM Doc

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Pain Management
Thanks everyone for your help.!

• Probably if Dr. scheduled fusion and canceled it,You wouldn't have to pay for the Discogram. Surgeries get canceled all the time, right? Ask doctor if he would be the one canceling the fusion. In that case I really don't think that you would have to pay, but then again who knows with insurance? Good luck
  • I don't understand why you would want to go through the risk of a discogram if you don't plan on following through with any treatment. It is an invasive test that you would be going through for what purpose?
  • Just to add to the confusion, its possible that the discogram can accelerate any degeneration you may currently have. You should think long and hard before you subject yourself to that procedure.

• Don't do a discogram or myelogram or other invasive tests unless you are ready to back it up with a real surgery. If you're not mentally ready. Then take a step back and a deep breath. Figure out what your long term plan is. More recent studies are showing that these invasive tests actually accelerate any disc problems. Not just the one you have now.

I understand the issue with the tear. I had herniation and tear. MRI shows herniation and discogram shows/proves tear. I followed it up with a microdiscectomy.

Even if the micro did do repairs. It doesn't mean the tear healed up right then and there. They remove some nucleus to shrink the disc. That takes pressure of the disc and nerves. Then the tear has a chance to heal. Those usually take quite a while.

I agreed to my next discogram when I knew it wasn't healing and I was willing to do fusion if needed. You can't do these and sit on them 6 months either. Surgeon is apt to throw those results out the window and demand a new one prior to surgery.

Keep in mind you are posting on a public forum. Asking people advise on "misleading" your insurance company. I'm saying that politely...

• I'm not sure about the Arachnoiditis. When I did a search about it I saw a lot had to due with scaring. I can tell you my recent MRI said the following
    Scar tissue surrounding the right S1 nerve root. It also mentioned Mulitlevel facet arthropathy and severe degenerative disc disease.

One thing I found interesting about Arachnoiditis is that it's caused by inflamation.
    With a new symptom (Coccyx pain)almost a year from my 2nd surgery I tried a couple steriod dos packs and they helped a little. And it's my understanding those dos pack remove inflamation.
    So maybe you have a point.

If a annular tear is present could that cause adhesion if the scaring surrounds the nerve?