Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nyc surgeon recommends ALIF/posterior lumbar fusion/discectomy for L5-S1

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
looking to see if anyone with experience with this combined surgery. I saw the head of spine surgery at HSS in NYC yesterday for a second opinion. Said my L5-S1 disc is very degenerated, herniated, and states it will most likley get worse. I also have some retro-spondylolisthsis, all which is contributing to my low back pain. States both procedures are done minimally invasive. About 6-7 hrs of surgery, sounds pretty intense. I only have one level disc herniation so would only need one level. Any one have this done??

• both the back and the front approach, but we originally planned on just from the back. I was in surgery over eight hours and they couldn't remove my damaged discs because of my scar tissue. Four days later, they went in from the front -- much easier to get bone graft, etc., in to the disc spaces from that angle.

I wish you all the best.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I'm just curious if your first surgeon suggested doing a similar surgery?

I believe I know which surgeon you saw at HSS. If so, I know several people that were pleased with him. Sometimes it is the spondylolisthesis that suggests to the surgeon to do the "360" fusion. It is kind of like extra reinforcement to make sure you have the best chance at fusion.

Is most of your pain in your back rather than in your leg?
  • My local neuro who did my microdiscectomy said he would do fusion posterior approach with a cage with my own bone ground up with bone growth with hardware. I really want it done right the first time.I have always just had leg pain with disc flares but my main discomfort now since my last herniation is low back pain. For all of aug and sept I had terrible sciatica and could not even lie on my r side but now the nerve root has settled. I have a lot of calf tightness but no nerve pain down the leg.