Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd spinal fusion in a couple of weeks

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know what to expect,just like to hear from others who have gone through it again

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of great info here as well as knowledgeable, friendly and supportive members on this forum.

Please give us more information that way we can help you better - and don't spare the details! LOL What fusion did you already have and was it cervical or lumbar? What fusion is on the horizon? What were your experience with your first fusion?

I'm scheduled for my second fusion. My first was a 3-lvl ACDF and now I'm going to have a TLIF at L4/5.

• I know I've had 2 back surgeries, but only one fusion - the second was 'exploratory'.

I'm a lumbar person - S1-L4 are fused on me.

I just scheduled a hardware removal and I know that now I'm facing surgery again I'm going to go back into the pre-op must haves list to refresh my memory and re-stock my recovery room for one.

Also, prepping for surgery again, I am planning on really hitting the workouts hard -okay, so not literally hard, but steady and constant. I want to be as tight and in shape as possible. I want to do everything I can to speed up my recovery time.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had an L5-S1 fusion and then 6 years later an L4-S1 fusion. Now 17 years later I'm facing L3-S1 (or just removal of hardware L4-S1 and hardware at L3-L4).

I also had a C5-C7 ACDF and then had to have some cervical posterior surgery so they did a posterior fusion with bone but adding no hardware.

I'm glad I've had each of the procedures. The easiest part for me is my new orthopedic spine surgeon is very committed to making this work and we talked through all the options. For me it looks like this next lumbar will be XLIF (from the side and not the back).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thank you for your replies! My first spinal fusion was L 3-4, and this spinal fusion will be L 4-5,with hardware removal of the L3-4.Several days after my fusion,the surgeon had to go back in,as the incision was bleeding-I spent 11 days in the hospital. I think the worse thing was the frustration of being so limited in what I could do----I was on a walker for about 3 months. this time I know what to expect-this time,however,I am having anterior and posterior,so I am a little nervous.I have been working on preparing the house,personal stuff,etc-my husband is retired,so I will have lots of loving help
  • One of my frustrations is NOT being able to exercise,as the pain is down my leg-I take short bouts around the yard,then hobble back in
  • My 1st fusion, L4-L5 Dec 08(details below) was not a success. 10 months of trying to recover, not getting anywhere, I found another surgeon and had my 2nd surgery (360 approach) on 10-26-09. He removed and replaced the old hardware, then anterior approach to repair discs, then back to the posterior approach to tighten everything in the correct allignment.

I am very happy I did it and while the tummy incision can be a bit sensitive, I did not find that the pain and recovery has been any more difficult.

I also had right leg numbness and weakness and could not walk from my house to the garage without my leg giving out. That is gone, though mine was caused from a synovial cyst pressing on the spine.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing!!
    PM if you have any questions!

• I understand I am going for a fusion 360 myself a little scared I use to workout alot now I can't do anything it is frustrated.
  • I had a spinal fusion L-2, L-3 using Nuvasive's XLIF procedure. It worked so well that I'm now working with Nuvasive as a spokesman to help reach out to others that are suffering like I was. I was walking within 24 hours, went on a 3 mile hike 2 and a half weeks after surgery and was able to continue my career as an MMA fighter as well. You see, I fight for the UFC, that's those knuckleheads that fight in a cage. I had my comeback fight 15 months after my surgery and have fought 5 times since my fusion. I couldn't be happier with my results and I'm honored to be able to reach out to other people who are suffering just like I was. You can see more of my story at www.xlif.com.
    Nathan "Rock" Quarry
  • thank you for the input! I continue to appreciate so much the support!
  • I have faith in my Dr, The Hospital... The fusion that was done 1.5 years ago is pressing not only on the largest nerve in my body, two level cqge didn't fuse. I have no life, I walk with a cane usually, if I am really bad, I use my walker. I am rarely outside, living as a non productive no longer able to do pretty much anything everyday. My mobility is about 8%. My children are the ones I feel suffer more. Because they don't have mom able to work, be a coach, take them on vacations. I dont have a house where I am able to use a wheelchair. When I have to sit in my car fod more than 20 mins. I have to get out so I dont get mh legs go in shock painmode and my feet in shock pain, go numb and excruciating pain. Thank The Lord, my oldest daughter is able to drive (which I taught her well). I have a 15 yearold son, a 12 year old son, and 3 years old daughter. They see me as the Mom that is stronger than I think. I have to sit down every 10mins while I cook
    Takes me a long time to cook because of the fact I cant stand. I clean when I feel well, still sit every 10mins. Tales two days to clean the whole house. I am just tired of the meds not working, I'm not eligible for injections. I need 20,000 for the spine institutes. Which I dont think they could help me when the cage needs to come out. The first surgery I got an infection microdiscektomy, laminectomy ON THE WORST LEG. Received an emergency surgery 1 month later, mersa coming out of my open back, did an emergency surgery because i had a spinal fluid leg and I passed out. A nine hour surgery which my own hip bone not a cadaverwhich I what I told them. In my appointment when he said I to me before first surgery that cadaver takes less time to heal. I didnt go to rehab never was given a brace. Therapy at home was a joke. Plus I had four children that needed to come back. My parents are coming up fromflodida for this ony ex husband is taking my children every other week. i am only 39, single Mom. Just terrified.....
    So who else has gone through this??? Would like some advise. I always over do it. I cannot stand a dirty house. My oldest ks always working except on my appts, siblings appts, one day to herself. I'm praying the weight will get off her shoulders after I heal. Jts not fair she has to give, provide money for my responsibilities. Anyone else have a posterior anterior posterior fusion?
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.