Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Week Post-op 2 level ALIF

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Fellow Spiney and Neckies,

Today marks 3 weeks post op from my ALIF. I am so happy to tell you all how well I am doing. My back pain is virtually gone, although this weather isn't very helpful (and there is the first 2 level fusion that can certainly continue to bug me from the funky weather for years(sssss) to come.

However, I cannot believe the difference from my last PLIF to this new ALIF. I know success stories are few and far between so I wanted to post a good outcome (so far!) for others to read.

Amazingly, my mess of a neck has even given me a bit of a break. I think part of it is I have learned to quickly stop doing movements that cause discomfort. I'm not delusional though, seeing my x-rays I know I will need to have another surgery to remedy the severe DDD and kyphosis, but for the moment it is nice to not start each day in pain and continue all day in pain.

Wishing you all better days ahead

• Good for you Lisa, I wish for your continued uneventful healing.
  • I'm so glad to hear that recovery is going so well. Isn't being relatively pain-free a strange feeling?

Good luck on your continued healing and progression. And thanks for posting your wonderful results for those that think there's nothing but horror stories.

• I'm so happy to read that you are doing so well. I agree with Cath, it's nice to read some happy success stories on here :) Keep up the good work!
  • Keep healing well Lisa and hope you can continue to walk even though your weather isn't too good at the moment. It's summer here in Oz so for me it's good to be able to get out morning and night.

I enjoy reading other good outcomes. Prior to my surgery, I read several success stories and it helped me to stop worrying.

Hope any further surgery on your neck is still a fair way off, but good that you're realistic about it.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • through without pain! That is great news!!

• It's so 'off' that we have to find it odd to not have pain. Like Cath says - "Isn't being relatively pain-free a strange feeling?"

And not to forget - but keep up the good healing!
  • Great News! I hope it continues. I am hoping that my back will straighten out soon!I will keep watching for updates!
  • Very good to hear that you're seeing such positive results. I wish you more continued blessings. It's hard to believe people like you, with multiple and difficult surgeries, can sound so positive. I'm glad you do, but some days it's difficult for me to be positive with my 1-level, and hopefully that's it, fusion. Glad for ya!

• Glad my successful story has helped some. I still take 1-2 vicadins per day, mainly this bone-chilling cold in the NE is causing pain, also makes it hard to get out and walk with ice everywhere, too. But I do have a treadmill (boring!!)

I've missed being on the site for a few days due to holidays and 2 kids birthdays. This week I will slow down, my body is definitely telling me to. Now on to the posts I've missed and hope you are all doing well.
  • I've missed talking with you...so glad you are coming along well...now that the worst is behind us, we can enjoy the holidays. Take care!!

• Great to hear of another success story. Thanks for sharing it with us Lisa.
    Very encouraging for those of us who are collecting information about surgery.
  • I, too am delighted that you feel so well that you are overdoing it. This is a hazard at this point in your recovery. If you are lucky, you are just beginning to fuse. You need to remind yourself to take it easy and rest so most of your energy is going toward healing. Also you will probably end up with a flare if you are on your feet too long at a time, which can result in an increase in inflammation, which will slow down your healing.

You can just walk back and forth in your house when it is too cold and icy to walk outside. I had both my surgeries in January across the big lake from you so I know how dangerous it is to try to walk outside, and I didn't drive for the first eight weeks so couldn't go to a mall to walk indoors.

Just keep using your head and think about what you are doing and I'm sure your recovery will continue to go well.

Happy Holidays--
  • for the remimder, you are absolutely right. I have been doing a bit too much lately. What was I thinking scheduling my surgery for this time of year!!!

Although I basically did all my Christmas and kids' birthday shopping before the surgery there are so many small things that add up that I don't realize how much I am doing.

I even cancelled my Mom coming today for my "errand running" day. Before the surgery I would get so much done on those days without kids, but I thought this morning "who cares if the library books are overdue" or whatever. If she's here I'll feel like I should get a few things done and I decided after going to bed at 6:00 pm (yes, 6:00 pm!!) last night that this too would be a rest as much as possible day.

For a somewhat intelligent person, I can sometimes be really stupid!! Once again, Gwennie, you have been the Voice of Reason, bless you!

Oh yes, I have been walking a lot around the house, I have a long ranch and even pre-surgery, I always marvelled at how much time I spent going from one end of the house to the other!

Take care all.