Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, having ALIF L5S1 and L5 disc replmt

LaurynBLLaurynB Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Im Lauryn from London, UK

Just wanted to introduce myself.

Im waiting to have fuision (Alif) on L5S1 and total disc replacement in L5 in January. My surgery is held up by a patent issue on the Maverick hardware :( Might have to choose a second option now.

This forum is great, Ive been reading many messages in the hope that it will prepare me for my own surgery. I have a blog, you might find it interesting: http://laurynspinalsurgery.blogspot.com/

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have several spiney friends from your part of the world. :D so glad you stopped by. :D be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum to help you prepare for your upcoming procedure. :? good luck and keep us informed. =D> Jenny :)
  • Hi Lauryn. Please excuse me but I think I'm about to ramble on...! I'm Emily from the UK age 34. Like many, I was browsing the internet tonight and was in my usual chronic pain sat on the sofa so I Googled 'chronic back pain' and thankfully ended up here! I read your message and just had to sign in and reply to you. I had an L5/S1 disc replacement using a Maverick implant in 2005. The operation was successful and reduced my chronic pain to what I considered to be a mild back problem, I went on to have 2 children. Although my back pain was horrendous towards the end of both pregnancies, once I had my children it returned to a mild back problem again. However, after two year long consecutive maternity leaves I returned to work at my part time desk job in Feb 2008. Things went well for the first couple of months but then the leg pain started again and crept lower down. Then the pain in the back, hips, buttocks etc. came, the numbness and pins and needles resumed. To cut my long story short (sorry!) I have now been off work for 18 months. I've had every test under the sun and they've shown that the implant is functioning correctly. However I have wear and tear of the facet joint at L5/S1 and a dehydrated disc at the level above. I remain in near constant chronic back and leg pain. I've been offered a double level fusion but with a 50% success rate or a nerve stimulator. At the moment I've just having physio weekly and am showing little improvement. Until reading this website I've felt so isolated. I'd love to hear from anyone with similar symptoms. I think I'm v positive, I carry on with life as normal especially for my 2 children and husband. But I take painkillers constantly and particularly suffer in private in the evening. I'm at a complete loss as to what treatment to do next, my employers have asked me to do CBT and intensive physio. I'd love to hear how you're getting on or from anyone else with similar experiences.
  • Emily, can't help you with the "Maverick implant" but we do share pain. ~X( i do suffer in the evening with pain and am usually unable to sleep... (|: you should look into the SCS. several spineys are very happy with them.. :D do a search and you can read some thoughts from those that have one. i think that would be a good thing to try before heading off to surgery.. all the best to you!! i hope you find pain relief soon. <:P Jenny :)
  • Thanks so much Jenny it's so lovely to finally talk to people in the same position as me. Despite being surrounded by well meaning family and friends no one quite understands what it's like so as you know it can be terribly isolating. as someone else on this site said people tend to comment that they "can't imagine what you're going through". I'll certainly look more into SCS, thanks for your advice. Have a Merry Christmas, Emily
  • Apologies its taken me so long to respond, my laptop has been suffering from a reverse typing prolem so its taken me some time to figure out whats hapening!

I do empathise with your experience and I was so pleased to hear from you. Id also felt a little alone until I found this support site. Its been realy good.

18months is a long time to be signed off work, Ive been off for 2 weeks now (Ive managed with the pain bit its been much worse these last 2 weeks).

Fortunately my operation is sheduled for mid-Jan. Ive decided to go with the ProDisc implant due to the patent issues, and I really couldnt wait that long to see that resolved.

Keep me updated with your progress Emily, I'll update my blogspot with the latest happenings.

Merry Christmas (I do hope its a relatively pain free one for you)

Lauryn >:D<