Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Pain and SSDI

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was initially diagnosed with work comp as double carpal tunnel syndrome and repetive hyper extension of neck in 2004. I worked as a Architectural Blueprint estimator and dealt with takeoffs of material and comparing multiple blueprints at one time. Vertigo occuring from extended neck motion. I was diagnosed by a MD/PHD at University of ILL med. at Chicago as being Permantly partially disabled as a person of a whole. Being that 75% of control is from shoulders upward. Loss work comp because case was not repetive motion and newer medical evidence could not be accepted. I was sent in 2006 to have a Vertical MRI and After many doctors and issues I was found to eventually have annular disc bulging at C3-4,C4-5 disk degeneration and annular bulging, C5-6 mild disk bulging and C6-C7 mild circumferential annuglar disc bulging
causing suppression on nerves and muscles and loss of blood flow to brain causing minor TIA's. I have been denied SSDI first time around and second time SSDI says in there minds I can perform my same job duties as above. They have all the records and films and can't see beyond their lay minds. I am constantly taking Alleve about 8 a day for pain relief and help to sleep. I rest horizontally every 2-3 hours to relief weight from my head before causing numbness in arms. If anyone has any suggestions on anything please respond.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Jeauxbert, Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team haglandc , tamtam , Neck of Steel , Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    Applying and getting approved for SSDI is no easy task. Just start reading some of the forums here about SSDI and you will see the frustrations many people go through.

The statement about they believe you can continue to still do your job is one of the most difficult
    to work with. I know as a programmer working on computers 8-10 hours a day, I could no longer do that type of work. I looked into SSDI and based on that there was not much to go forward with.

I understand and can appreciate you are in pain and discomfort. But the fact that you are only taking Alleve for the pain will look to some SSDI's reps as though you can deal with this. Sometimes, if they knew you were only a lot of different medications to get by that could make a swing.

Thats NOT to say go run out and get doctors to prescribe you medications. You take only the medications you need to manage your situation

Advice, Suggestion... Just be prepared to duke it out for a while. Getting approved SSDI is far from an easy chore.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sorry to hear of your troubles with the pain and the SSD fight.

I too have been enduring the 3 year(so far)torture in fighting for SSD. I have been denied twice and am now scheduled to go before an adjucator judge at a hearing on Feb. 18,2010, with hope that I can win this time, as my condition has worsened and I now have an attorney representing me since after my first denial, when I thought I could do it alone.

If you research as Dilauro said, you will find that it is a VERY LONG and grueling process and one that does require an attorney's assistance. I found out the hard way. Definitely get an attorney if you don't already have one.

I'm surprisd that you were denied with the physical condition you are in, but then again, I see alot of people, including myself, that have all of the proof, physically, mentally and a file of papers 6 inches thick, and still get denied. A shame but so true when we deserve it and yet there are people out there that are approved for alcohol/drug addiction and depression/anxiety the first time they file.

Us "spiney's" seem to have a harder and longer fight ahead of us, as spine problems are somewhat "overlooked" and not considered as a disability or limitation in many cases. I'm afraid they too will decide that I am still capable of performing the same job I had as an office manager or suggest some other position they believe I can perform. I haven't worked since April 2007, as my condition has limited my ability in many ways. But that's soc. sec. way of denying you. They have many attorney's and expert docs to aid them in fighting against you.

I have all of the proof too, including numerous mri's, bone scans, several different docs, recent cervical surgery, radiculopathy, spondylothesis, ostearthritis, and osteophytes. That doesn't even include my 4 year struggle with 2 other bulging discs in my lower back with the same diagnosis that still need addressed. Along with 10+ years of DDD, chronic intrackable pain and 4 years of taking ms contin, oxycodone and so many other drugs. I'm still fighting the battle and refuse to give up but it gets very tirying and takes a toll on you.

It's very difficult but don't give up. It takes ALOT of time and patience, if you have it! :??

With your condition, I don't know how you are able to function on only 8 aleve a day! Have you considered your other options as far as pain control with your doc? Seems like you would require stronger medication, unless you are restricted from narcotic meds due to work issues?? :S

• How can you ride a motorcycle with them problems
  • That's one of the many things I have lost because of my condition. I haven't been able to ride my bike for 2 years now and it's even difficult being a passenger with my husband.
    These spine problems have robbed me of what I enjoy.

Some people still continue to ride as they say it helps them with their pain, as it takes their focus off of the pain and onto the enjoyment of the ride.

Unfortunately for me, that doesn't work....
    A question I receive quite often though.
  • RaysBABe99 summed it up the best I think. I'm in the same boat and take the same meds you do. I did get Lawyers right from the get go. SSDI is the only kind of cases they deal with (and SSI I think its called). They were recommended by my Long Term Disability Company.

Fortunately I have just been approved to have my benefits extended until my SSDI is approved. I've been denied twice and my next step in the Adjudicator Judge as well. They keep saying my nerve pain and damage should be healed by one year after my surgery. One year is April 8th 2010. My pain is worse and more widespread now.

I think I had an excellent surgeon. He has a reputation for being one of the best neurosurgeons in our area. I think he took pressure off the nerve root. But there was already so much damage that I think its permanent.

Plus, since my diagnosis of DDD I now have Fibromyalgia pretty bad.

I am thinking positive. I believe I'll win in the end. Just hang in there and fight.

Ken GreyEagle
  • Generally, people have had good response to surgery and SSA assumes EVERYONE will (I wish!). I'd say that if you have not had significant improvement after 6 - 8 months, chances are that in your case, any improvement you have will not be significant enough to allow you to work.

The only time that would work in your favor, is with your Soc Sec disability claim.

(oh, and a teensie FYI - SSI is a disability program for individuals who have not worked, or have not paid enough "quarters" into Social Security Retirement. Eligibility is based first on financial need, THEN on whether you meet the physical/medical requirements. I just thought you might want to know that)
  • Back in the day ( only 3 yrs ago) I was still able to ski, but 10 years ago I was a professional rock climber , yes making a living climbing.. I had back problems for a long time, but when herniated my l5/s1 and c6 , then I had "REAL" back problems, had to start painting houses, after I couldnt do that anymore I applied SSD and got shut down like a stuck pig, the doc who did my interview had already dismissed me when I walked into his office.. so to me the SSD And SSC goverments are corrupt and have biased doctors ready to turn down people so that the "SSD AREA MANAGER" can meet their "TURN DOWN" quota. So in Short , they have to turn down a specific amount of people throughout the year and each month.

I even had an MRI to show the doc and he laughed and said " I DONT READ THOSE THINGS!"..

WTH? I called the SSD office and told them a 90 yr old doc had a decision before the examination.

SO yeah, I will apply again, and again, till those tight wads buck up and give me what I deserve.

can you imagine climbing ladders to paint a house while on oxycodone, morphine and 2 herniated discs. Well ssd can.