Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

suboxone-back pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Pain Medications
First of all , i'm new here and would like to say hello to everyone! My questions are about Suboxone . I was put on loritabs about 2 years ago for back pain and it has quickly gotton out of control....i am taking about 10 - 7.5's a day. And i know compared to some people that is not god awful, but i know from what i've seen and read what road i'm heading down. When i get my script i have no will power and i just keep taking them until they are gone. And then i'm in withdrawal. So i went and got put on Suboxone yesterday and was just looking for others who are on it and how they are doing with it. Also i am having vision problems .... trouble focusing , it's really scaring me. I woke up last night in the middle of the night and had a reall y bad headache. Has anyone else had that with them. Right now i can't even drive and having a hard time typing this. I am on 3-8mg a day. Any replys would be great !

• Hi Julie,
    Here is a link to a previous thread that I started, which is similar to yours. There are certainly some cautionary tales out there about Suboxone! For me, bottom line is that I wanted help, Dr. prescribed Suboxone, I used it, and I'm now feeling great, with no meds. It certainly sucked for a day, when stopping the Suboxone, and for a week I had anxiety / restlessness, but after that, it really wasn't so bad. I started I think at 12mg, then went down from there, finishing after about a month. Anyway, good luck, stay strong, and know that it's possible and you'll get through it. Happy Holidays!
  • Thanks , and i am really happy to hear from someone that it worked for. Did you have trouble with your vision. I just looked at my papers and it says that is a side effect that you should call your dr. about. I'm not sure if i should try to talk to someone tonight or not.
  • I would think it would always be a good idea to call either a Doctor or the Nurse hotline for their advice if you're concerned. They are the only ones that I would trust, especially if you're worried. I liked this forum for general information and support, but if I was concerned, I would certainly e-mail or call my Doctor or Physicians assistant.
    Again, hoping you'll get through this soon!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are very wise to be going off your medication and using the suboxone to do it with.. :D good luck to you!! =D> Jenny :)
  • i am in the same position, i didnt get much help on this site so i went to addictionsurvivors.com on opiods , there are a lot of people taking this for pain management, but i have been on it for 4 months now and i am doing good, wish i was better but im working on it, i was wondering if it was still working for you
  • I have been on suboxone for over 5 years now for cronic pain and back pain it has been wonderful for me but everybody is different it is best to have a pm doc that is very informed in the area of suboxone for pain management not just addiction and to be very honest in every way with that doc about every aspect of your health both mental and physical and work together for the best possible outcome
  • Well it's been three years since somebody answered that post, I always hear the same thing with Suboxone, addiction, addiction, addiction. Every on this site talkes about morphine patches, and Oxycontin and more, do you think their addicted? No? They need it for their pain, and that is the same for me, I just have a high tolerance for narcotics and a job that requires heavy lifting, which I do not have anymore. Suboxone is just another form of pain medication, that I use. I go to the Chicago Rehabilitation Institute for Pain Management.
    I have learned that I have to live with this pain maybe for the rest of my life, so I would really rather be on Suboxone than opiods. The fact that it can not be distinguished from addiction, is the reason I quit coming to this site. Having Norco and morphine addicts tell me that I am an addict, and no nothing about this drug that is used all over the world, for pain management.

Well, Thanks for listening :)))
  • Hello there. I've been on Suboxone for 7 years for pain management. I'm thinking they have you on too high a dose. You should not have vision issues nor should you feel any side effects. Ask doctor if you could cut those in half and see if you do better on them. I'm getting ready to have major open back surgery and now trying to get off the Suboxone so I can have the surgery. Otherwise, the pain meds won't work and the Suboxone is not strong enough for the surgery or this type of post surgerical pain.

Good Luck to you.
  • I just started a Suboxone trial 2 weeks ago. I go for a follow up with my doc tomorrow. I'm still experiencing some vision problems and insomnia but it has helped my pain a lot until the last couple days. I'm guessing that your dosage has to be adjusted frequently in the beginning. My counselor said for pain management they start you out on a small dose and gradually increase it. I currently take 2.5 strips 3x/day. It's wearing off rather quickly now and I'm not sure if that's normal. I just returned to work last week and did fine but my hours have dropped and my stress has MAJORLY increased due to financial concerns, being a single parent of a 12 year old special needs child and pain has worsened significantly and the headaches are back along with the blurred vision. Can anyone shed some light on how the Suboxone is supposed to work in the beginning. I would love some helpful feedback, especially success stories!!! I need encouragement as I'm really hoping the Suboxone will work for this horrible chronic pain!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hello CD,
    I can relate to your concern regarding Suboxone and overall pain managment. I do not have direct spine-related pain, however, I've had both shoulders and a hip replaced. I am presently on Morph. and Oxy's and have been on and off for over 10 years. Opid's are not without a price and difficult to ween off them. I take them because nothings else has worked, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to look for other alternatives. I want to try Suboxone as well. but worry of other side effects and concerns that creep in when you don't expect them. So, my thoughts are if nothing, and I mean anything else you've tried does not meet your pain head on, then you need to be patient and keep with the Suboxone. Otherwise, if you could revert back to something else perhaps do it. Most of all, you are not alone in the pain management world. Many have worries and issues like yourself. Keep a positive mindset and keep thankful for what you do have in your life. It could be much, much, worse. My prayers and wishes are for the best - take care.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.