Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, just checking in...

mamainpainmmamainpain Posts: 127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone, I havn't been here for a while and just wanted to check in. I seem to have hit the magic number 13 weeks!!! For the first time, I am glad I had this huge surgery and I consider myself a success! I am sleeping better, not waking up every hour to toss and turn due to pain, and most mornings wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. A huge improvement for me. I also am more active, for the first time, I can go hours without being aware of my pain. I am down to 4 norco a day and 1 ambien at night and am back at work, 30 hours a week. I still have a hard time sitting, I think that will take many more weeks, so I just stand or lay down. It isn't perfect, but a huge improvement. I want to thank everyone who encouraged me when I was sad and down, you really helped me get through the worse part. This was a very serious, difficult surgery and recovery, but finally now I can see light at the end of the tunnel. By the way, I am taking it easy, I know I still have several months to finish fusion and healing. No lifting, skating etc., but life is much better!!! There is hope for all of us!!!
Take care everyone, and may we all continue to improve!!

• Wow, sounds like you are finally moving in a positive direction and that must be rewarding!

I'm glad to hear that you understand you still have a ways to go too b/c it's so important that you know to take it easy.

I haven't had a fusion (though may be faced with one in future) and just understand that the toughest part about back pain and issues is that people cannot see pain so sometimes we feel guilty and overdo it so we don't appear to be whimps.

I'm so glad you have a good sense of your limits but are celebrating your successes!

Keep posting!
  • Rachel , that is absolutely wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the great work and post when you can with updates. It is always an awesome thing when we get to read threads like these and see that there are those that are on the mend and doing good!!!!!!! The best of luck to you and I hope that things will just get better and better for you!!!!!!!!! Take care....Miki
  • Just wanted to say you are a true survivor! You have a very positive attitude, and seem to be in great spirits. I think these are the two things everyone needs to heal more quickly and make the healing process more tolerable. Good for you Rachel. I'm at the same point in healing as you are. Sure we all have occassional aches and pains that come and go. We've all been through a very tough surgery and our bodies are probalby still in somewhat a state of shock. I'm so happy for you and that you're well on your way to a quicker recovery. By the way we had 10 inches of snow here on Wednesday and the low tonight whould be minus 8 degress. Not quite as nice here in Minnesota than California!!! Take care Rachel. Keep us posted. People need to hear positive things as you are helping many people in their recovery, Kevin
  • ...I remember being at 13 weeks - things just kept getting better from there. Don't get me wrong, there were some definite down days, particularly with work, but everytime I looked back for several weeks I could see improvement - way to go!!!
  • On doing so well. Sitting is the absolute worst, isn't it. After a year out, I still can't manage it comfortably for long periods. I think I'm going to begin a reduced work schedule until I retire because I just can't sit for nine hours a day five days a week. I hope you continue to improve as you heal!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • That's positive news and I'm glad to hear your surgery was the answer for you. Best wishes for you and hope you continue to heal completely. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I've been wondering how you have been doing. So happy to hear you positive story. You ahd a rough time for a while and now it saounds like you are doing very well. I'm 5 months out and go back to work after the first of the year and hope I can keep up the progress like you seem to be. It's great to be able to cut way down on the meds, isn't it? Hope you continue to grow stronger. Don't over do it!