Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Caution taking any anti inflamitories!

Cheryl StewartCCheryl Stewart Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
my previous ns had me on celebrex and his pa and the pain docotr for nearly a year after my first surgery and my fusion did not take. i was only 40 years old, 145 lbs, non smoker. i learned about cox-2 in hibitors during my pre-op for my revision and was horrified!

• you can visit county records and get docotors reports on line before any surgery. you can aks before hand if they have any malpratice suits pending or so forth. dont be affraid to knoe about them before you allow the to pratice on you. my previous surgeron had a list of suits going back as far as approx 2000 2003 and the list goes on.
  • told me right from the get go that I was not to have any kind of anti-inflamatories, advil, ibuprophin or blood thinners of any sort before surgery and for 6 months to a year after surgery as they prevent fusion from happening. I havent had anything of that sort now for over 2 years because of the closeness of my surgeries. I was also not allowed to take a multivitamin as vitamin E isnt good for fusions as well.

Sorry about your nonfusion,
  • I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, Cheryl. Your surgeon should have definitely told you to stop using anti-inflammatories. I hope you are reporting him/her.
  • How are you feeling? Like the pic of you,...sweet! ;)
  • I am sorry that you did not fuse after your first surgery. However, it is unlikely that you can blame it on Celebrex. Celebrex is the one anti-inflammatory medication you can take shortly after fusion. I cannot give you the scientific reasons, but due to the composition of the drug it works differently in the body than NSAIDS and other anti-inflammatories.

Celebrex is the only anti-inflammatory that does not inhibit Cox-1 in addition to Cox-2. It has a different chemical compound and works on inflammation in a slightly different way. I began taking it three weeks after my fusion. At the time I questioned my surgeon because I had heard you could not take any of the anti-inflammatories. So he went through the whole explanation. I later asked his PA because I had never heard that Celebrex was different.

Also, not all surgeons believe that NSAIDS inhibit bone fusion. There are a number of studies that patients taking Celebrex had similar results to the control group who was not taking Celebrex. "Recently it has been demonstrated that the COX-2 inhibitors do not have significant deleterious effects on the healing of intertransverse process fusions...." (cited from: http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/cgi/content/full/93/3/803)

Will you be using a bone growth stimulator with this revision? I wish you good luck.

• I was looking for something else and ran across this study that shows in great detail how the use of NSAIDS can keep someone from fusing. If interested, you can read it here:

• Cheryl Stewart said:
    you can visit county records and get docotors reports on line before any surgery. you can aks before hand if they have any malpratice suits pending or so forth. dont be affraid to knoe about them before you allow the to pratice on you. my previous surgeron had a list of suits going back as far as approx 2000 2003 and the list goes on.

We are here to support any and all who come through the doors of Spine Health. My concern is that you are simply posting information that is derogatory.

In today's litigious climate, finding that a surgeon has or has had claims of malpractice filed against him/her, is not necessarily indicative of the skills that surgeon may have.

While it is important that we all take responsibility for our own care, and do our best to find out about what we are facing before we agree to it, there comes a point where we can shoot ourselves in the foot. Paralysis through analysis.

I wish you the best of luck.

• i did used one with both of my first two surgeries for nine months. my second surgery healed fine. in fact the same surgeon for the first two times. his office now highly suggests not to use celebrex as it is a cox-2 inhibitor. i have had numerous doctors tell me that i should not have been on it. my goal is not to bring people down with these statements, i am supporting others by getting the information out there so at least patients can make their own choice with informed decissions. litigious? i didn't sue the surgeon....i know that is that type of society we have now, but that's not to say that some suits aren't needed or warrented. needless to say, this will be my last commit on the matter.
  • i will add that i never said anything negative about the skills of my surgeon. in fact, i told my current surgeon that i thought my previous doctor was very skilled if not gifted. furthermore, my current doctor knows my previous surgeon. he shared that with me after our third follow-up appt.
  • I am a 48 y/o male... nonsmoker.

I have a collapsed L5/S1 disc, bonespurs, and a L4 that is degenerating. The L5/S1 had a discectomy around 4.5 years ago due to herniation.

My surgeon has given me 6 weeks of PT, and wants me to have a TLIF after the PT is over.

My pain management from him is to continue to eat Ibuprofen and Noproxen Sodium. Now I find this.

I seem to now live in a state (CO) that have physicians that do not want to prescribe any kind of narcotics. I guess I'll be visiting a "pain management" Dr. out of my own pocket now.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084

My insurance covers pain management physicians as well. So while I pay a co-pay to see my PM doctor it is well worth it.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi I've been taking lots of fish oil since my surgery thinking it might help with the nerve damage,since it has an anti inflammatory effect does anyone know if it can interfere with fusion. Boy some days I just don't know which way to turn.
  • of things that thin the blood and prevent fusion:

•Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin)
    •Anti-inflammatories (Aleve, Naprosyn)
    •Fish oil
    •Vitamin E
    •Herbals (gingko, glucosamine)
    •Blood thinners (Coumadin, Heparin)
    •Antiplatelets (Plavix, Ticlid, Fragmin, Orgaran, Lovenox, Innohep)
    •Wintergreen snuff
  • So are Tylenol based products OK and if there not then what can we take
  • Here is a partial list of NSAIDs:

celecoxib (Celebrex)
    diclofenac (Voltaren)
    diflunisal (Dolobid)
    etodolac (Lodine)
    ibuprofen (Motrin)
    indomethacin (Indocin)
    ketoprofen (Orudis)
    ketorolac (Toradol)
    nabumetone (Relafen)
    naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn)
    oxaprozin (Daypro)
    piroxicam (Feldene)
    salsalate (Amigesic)
    sulindac (Clinoril)
    tolmetin (Tolectin)

Tylenol is OK to take after fusion.
  • Does anyone know if you can take HRT post fusion. I have premature menopause and have to take HRT to prevent amongst other things osteoporosis.