Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l5 microdiscectomy next week freaking out

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Lower Back Pain
New member here. I have the surgery next week and am pretty
scared. I'm not sure what to expect after waking up from surgery. Hope to be sedates enough with painkillers. Have had 2 two major surgeries and woke up with no pain. I'm alergic to morphine so scared ill wake up in agony. Hope this works. Any feedback appreciated!!!

• I am also allergic to morphine. My doc gives me demerol and I tolerate it well and it also works well for pain. Everyone is so different in how they recover from this type of surgery. You may want to read the post op must haves in the surgery section. The more prepared that you are the easier your recovery will go. My motto is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I had a microdiscectomy in feb 08 and I woke up and the sciatica pain was gone. I went home within 24hrs. I too am allergic to morphine, and there are other meds that can be used to control your pain. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress. lynette
  • I would suggest you voice all your concerns with
    your Doctor BEFORE you have surgery.

I had same surgery Dec. 1, 09. Unfortunately my Dr.
    was in a hurry to discharge me. It was considered an
    Out Patient Operation (I beg to differ) so they started @ 12:45pm & I was discharged at 3pm.

I awoke 5hrs later in excruciating pain with the SAME pain meds I've been on for the past year.

Suggest you make sure talk to Doctor about how and when he discharges you.

Everyone is different but they sent me home under anesthesia basically and I awake at 8pm vey upset.

I hope no one else is treated the way I was.

Good Luck
  • Perfectly normal and common to be nervous.
    My 1st surgery was at L4-L5. I was freaking out pretty good. Almost got up and crawled out of the place at the last minute.
    Finally, there was a point where I resigned myself and just let it happen.

I hobbled in on crutches, they did the surgery and a couple hours later I woke up pain-free in the recovery room.

The pain was gone! Wow, I hadn't been free of pain in almost a year. I knew immediately that my problem was fixed. Even shed a couple tears of relief and hapiness. It was awesome.
    3 hours later I walked out of there under my own power. Was really hungry so we stopped at the first place we saw which was a subway sandwich place.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Thanks so much guys for your help!!! Went well today but was pretty nervous till they put me under. Only took an hour. Woke up in pain and burning deep under the incision sight but the nurse gave me a bunch of diliuted(sp) which really helped. Grateful was able to talk with my doc about pain meds. Put me on diliuted instead of percodone cause been on that the last 2 months on/off and built up a tolerance. I also am in recovery so naturally have a high tolerance to pain killers. My girlfriend is upset my surgeon put me on such a heavy med but taking it responsibly. Being sober and having surger can be scary because my brain
    can't tell the difference between a street drug and one prescribed by a medical doctor. Good news is the horrible nerve pain in my periformis muscle and places down my leg are gone. Regular icing has really helped!! Walked 4 times slowly so happy was able to start walking. The nurses and staff were top notch and showed a ton of empathy. Once again thanks all!!
    Really grateful I found this site!!

• Hey, Stonewall. Congratulations on being on the other side of surgery. I'm glad that the pre-surgery symptoms are gone and that you've had such caring nurses and doctors.

Welcome back!
  • hi Stonewall,
    Sounds like your homework and communication paid off. Sounds like your staff was very aware of your medication needs/limitations and worked with you.

Take it easy. The key is not to overdo it b/c you don't want to reherniate. Let people dote on you. No bending, twisting, lifting.

congrats on making it through the scary part. Good luck on the recovery. My incision only hurt for about 4 days. I was off pain meds by day 5 or 6 and just using ibuprofin.
This discussion has been closed.