Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discography? Need every possible input please~

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Spinal Injections
Hello everyone. I have had two rounds of injections so far. I dont know exacty what they were but the first time I had eight band-aids from top to bottom, to no avail. The next time he said he tried something different, an epidural of some kind,,boy was I sore on that one the next day. He wants to try that one more time and if I still have no relief, he wants to do a discography. I did some research and I have to say I'm pretty scared since I have to be awake. Has anyone had this procedure, please give it to me straight and tell me what they do, what to expect and whatever other details that may help me prepare. I would so much appreciate your honesty on this one. Thank you soooo much.

• This will give you an accurate description of the procedure:

I will leave it up to others to provide the personal details.

What type of doctor is it that is performing these tests? A discogram is not usually done early in the diagnostic process as it is a very invasive procedure. Some doctors avoid it all together unless there is no other way to gather the same information.
  • It will only be painful if the disc is what is already causing your pain. It is a diagnostic tool in order to diagnose a painful disc.

You are awake when they inject the die in to the disc. If that disc is causing your pain you will feel the pain that you already have only intensified. As soon as you indicate that the disc is causing your pain the doc will numb it and the pain will stop for awhile.

Depending on how bad the disc is you may be in pain for a few days afterward. Your doc should give you pain meds to help with this.

It is not a pleasant experience but sometimes necessary in order to find the cause of your pain.

Try to relax as much as possible because tension will only make things worse.

I hope this info helped and feel free to ask if you have other questions.
  • Dear missmisery, I had a discogram about a year ago. Because I had to travel out of town, I was recommended to spend the night at a hotel because I was on my own. This was done in alberta canada. I was told I would be quite sore that evening. They gave me something to relax me probably demorol. The test was a piece of cake to me and I told the doc that this was nothing to what I can experience with pain. Because I really could not distinquish which disc hurt the most, I was told I was not a candidate for surgery. Afterwards I was taken to a day recovery room where I slept for about 2-3 hours. I woke up, went back to my hotel room and felt great. I even went out and got some munchies. I came back to the room but ended up being so tired I went to sleep about 7:30. I thought everything was great, till I woke up in extreme pain. I thought there is no way I can drive home (a 3 hour drive). I called the hospital and they recommended I go to the ER. I went and gave up after a 3hour wait to see someone. Then I thought the hell with this nonsense and decided to drive home. I took a painkiller and applled icy cold linament and had my two ice packs with me. It was not a easy drive but I made it home. The next day I felt a little better. It does hurt for a few days but I found the day after almost intolerable. So make sure you get someone to drive you and to take you home. It's just that one day that is really bad. So good luck to you, I am sure you will do fine. Nancy
  • Hi,

We all seem to have different experiences with the discos. It seems this question has come up a lot in the last a week ot two.

I'll be totally honest with you about my experience, not to "scare" you, but prepare you.

Mine was done this past July. I worried myself alot beforehand (of course). The staff was excellent, answered all questions and understood any uneasiness I had.

I was given an anaesthetic to put me out while they did some prep-work, then was woken up to give them my pain scales. Don't worry about being wishy-washy: if its a bad disc you will scream at them but they will quickly numb you back up.

Once its over they numb all of the portals and let you rest a bit, and ask how you feel, better, worse, etc....

The rest of the afternoon for me was great from the numbing drugs. HOWEVER, I was in pain for at least a week at the injection sites. Make sure to ask for some good painkillers. Ice also helped a lot. You may do fine after the procedure, just be prepared that some of us have quite a few rough days.

Good luck. The best thing about a disco is its over relatively quickly and is an excellent diagnostic test.