Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still concerned about my incision

yasminayyasmina Posts: 166
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My acdf 5-7 surgery will have been 2 weeks on Mon. I went to the ns on Wed. last for post-op appt. and he said everything looked good.

However, my incision has a lump under it. The lump is the length of the incision and about 1/4-1/2 in. in depth.

I guess I'm paranoid. My BIL died 1 1/2 yrs. ago from a blood clot after surgery on his shoulder. I don't know if he had a lump or not, but I'm spastic enough to worry about it.

Has anyone else ever experienced a lump under their incision? If so, how was it resolved and how long did it take?

• Was you incision sewn or stapled back together? My wife had an incision about 4" after kidney surgery. It was put back with staples and it had an appearance that reminds me of what you describe. It was just a risen area the length of the wound and about 3/8" wide. Mine from my recent PLIF was sewn with black thread. That was a month and a week ago and the incision now is really kind of flat. If you're nervous about it, it never hurts to call the Dr and ask though.

Peace and Love
  • I too had a lump under my incision that worried me. I asked the doc about it at my first post-op, and he told me it would more than likely absorb, it was the way they close the incision and is a fold of skin (ew.) I'm now 5 months out from the same surgery, and the lump is gone! If it's not giving you an unreasonable amount of pain, and there's no drainage, there's probably nothing to worry about. But if it concerns you, call your doc! I'm not a doc (I don't even play one on TV), just my experience with it. I figure as much as they charge us for surgery, they can take a few phone calls when something worries us!
  • are typically lumpy while they heal. If your incision is red, hot, swollen, etc., then you have cause to worry. If not, it's probably just underlying sutures and tissues knitting themselves back together.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I asked my Dr. about it and he told me it is scar tissue. It DOES sound more like that bit of folded skin that makes the long lump.

I'm 6 weeks out from my surgery and STILL in a great deal of pain. They don't seem to know why but still insist I am able to return to work in a month. They are also not going to refill my pain meds, although I did not once abuse them. This is Kaiser, they have a different agenda I guess.

OH to add insult to injury the Dr. put butterfly bandages and then a big sticky bandage. I developed large blisters both sides of the incision talk about pain! Now they have all burst oh wow the pain just keeps coming lol

Sorry I had to go off a little, didn't mean to change the subject! I've been up all night with back pain so I'm goofy :)