Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jeaux....please read if you don't mind!

EMTgoneNUTZEEMTgoneNUTZ Posts: 321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Health Insurance Issues

A quick rundown of my disability history...filed first time in Sept 2005 (haven't been able to work since June 2005-was a paramedic injured 2002, 2004, & 2005) was denied in a couple months. Appealed, denied again. Hired atty, had ALJ hearing (took 2 1/2 years from 2nd denial to ALJ) was denied AGAIN. Atty filed another appeal based on a "bad judgement" in his belief-I ended up homeless (living in a tent) so my parents left FL to go up to Michigan to rescue me & my oldest son (my other 2 now live with their dad b/c of my inability to provide for us-mutual decision there, but my oldest is with me because his father is non-existant). My folks rented an apt for my son and I to live and are currently paying all of our living expenses on their retirement income (talk about feeling guilty!). Went to Congressmans Ofc and they put in a request with ODAR to expedite my appeal and overturn my denial. I have been called twice by ODAR and sent them some information they wanted (one was a statement from my Dr at the FL Spine Institute that stated specifically that I am disabled & unable to work pending back surgery). Received a letter today from the Congressmans Ofc that basically said they are now assessing my case and that if there is no change sooner, they will report back in 60-90 days.

So, I guess my question to you is, my atty back in Mich had told me to go to my Congressman but the ones in Mich didnt apparently give a damn as they never responded or sent "form letter" apologies for why they couldn't help me, but apparently this one here in FL really DOES care and I cant thank him enough for trying to help. Anyway, my atty felt it would bring me a favorable decision by contacting the Congressman-do you have any experience seeing/hearing of this? I am living on whatever child support I get which is SUPPOSED to be over $377 but is rarely even $200 p/month. I'm getting worse and worse-it's been a VERY long road (almost 8 years since my first injury, 4.5 since I couldnt work any longer & over 4 since I filed SSDI). I just need to know if this is another stall tactic that rarely turns out favorable, or does this look like maybe it could finally work?

Also-do they really pay ALL the backpay from the time you apply? Because I was told the most I could get would be 6 months but I applied over 4 years ago-shouldnt I be entitled to ALL of that backpay that I've been waiting on for me and my kids (had them all until this past Sept, now just the one-course had I gotten my SSDI sooner I wouldnt have had to give up my children, nor would we have lived in a tent all summer!). I don't want false hopes anymore, but I'd like to think there could be a little hope at least..? What do you think?

Thanks dear! I'm sorry to bother you but I know you're experienced in this and nobody else I ask seems to have an answer-or else if they do say that I "should" be getting it now, it still doesnt sound believable to me I guess. I suppose being rejected multiple times does that to a person, lol.

• But, see the PM I sent you.

• no wonder why you have gone nuts! I had to read this because I know what you have been through. I know that things are getting ready to take a turn for the better for you.

You are going to be approved soon and I will keep watching for that post.
  • Got your PM Jeaux-will respond in a bit (need to go get milk then lay down w/my best friend the heating pad for a bit). You're a doll!

JJ-thanks to you too! Yup-I've definitely gone nutz! lol It's been a very long road full of ups and downs (mostly downs, which is why I'm not posting as much as I used to-but I'm trying to come back out of my shell more). Hope things are going well for you-you deserve all the best! :-)
  • Hi Tanya

It's great to see you here once again. I hope things improve soon. You are certainly a fighter and I feel you will ultimately persevere. I just hope the battle is shorter vs longer.

Great to see you,