Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lawsuits against surgeons

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and have been scheduled for cervical surgery in January 2010. Should the fact that a surgeon has had 5 lawsuits in the last 5 years be something for alarm? Otherwise, he has excellent credentials and has been to the best schools in NYC and works at one of the finest hospitals and also teaches at that hospital. I felt very comfortable with him but when I found out about the lawsuits that gave me pause. I am nervous enough about this surgery as it is. I need it at one level only.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

• That would definitely give me some concern. Did you get that information from your state medical board? Is this surgeon credentialed for spine surgery only? I would seek a 2nd opinion. There are many surgeons out there who have the same qualifications you list who don't have lawsuits against them every year.

Best to you,

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

This is too general of a question. It's important to know what these lawsuits were, who the plaintiff was, and what was the outcome before making any educated decision about this doctor.

Do you have that information? If not, can you get it and share it with us?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Its too general... 5 Lawsuits.. But WHY??
    Bottom line if the surgeon is good and you have total confidence and trust in them, then that matters the most.
    But I would sure like to know about those lawsuits. Sometimes, its the patient just looking to collect some money.

My surgeon operated on me and now my big toenail is growing fast, so I cant wear shoes... So I am going to sue him

I know that sounds a bit far fetched, but some of those things do really happen. You want to know WHAT where his charges, WHAT was settled.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The fact that it makes you nervous is the answer to your own question in my opinion.

I couldnt and wouldnt let a surgeon do spine surgery (or any other kind) on me unless I had total confidence and trust. If I or a family member get referred to a new doctor the first thing I do is research him or her on the state medical licensing board to see if they have had any sanctions or lawsuits and then also check into their credentials as well. I also really trust my primary doctor (I've known him personally for years) to refer me to someone he has confidence in.

How did you get referred to this doctor? Do you trust the doctor that referred you to him?

• Thank you all for your input. I do not have the details of the lawsuits but I intend to get them. The doctor came very highly recommended and I felt very comfortable with him. I will update when I have more details. Thanks again and good luck to everyone.
  • Scorpio, I'm very glad that you're going to get the lawsuit information. If you would, please let us know what you find (or PM me the info if you prefer) so that we have some comparisons for the future.

This question has come up only a couple of times in the last year and we were never given the final info regarding the lawsuits, plaintiffs and settlement. I think it could be a great benefit for SH and you would be one of the first to give us the full story. :-)

Thanks and I'll look forward to seeing what you find out.

• Most docs do have some form of complaints/lawsuits. There are sooooo many people out there trying to make a buck. If they were for small amounts of money, usually they were really nothing, but if they are for millions, then you know it was a MAJOR booboo and he did something wrong. My brother and I were talking about this very subject yesterday and thats what he said his attorney told him.
    You can get info about the doc online, but usually you have to pay for the info. Its a small fee.