Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tips for around the house post surgery

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This could probably be added to the post-op list---but I wanted to share-if you use a walker----I used a walker with my first surgery,and I would hang a bag,small purse,whatever on the walker to keep my phone,glasses,chapstick in---but they were too long,too big,etc----so this time I measured the width of the front of the walker,and sewed a bag with 2 handles to tie on the bar.I used an old jacket I never wear-it is red velvet,so it will keep me perky! I may glue some jewels on it!-----this is just something to lessen the frustration of not having something handy--it could be adapted to men,women,kids-----as I have said,I cried more from frustration than pain,so less any of us have to think about the better!

• There are actually ones you can buy, too. I've seen them but for the life of me can't remember where!

When I had my car accident years ago, I was in a soft collar for a while. I got out my cloth paints and decorated it, my doc laughed so hard when he saw it! Kept me cheery, though!
  • a really good tip. I had crutches when I first came home, but they ended up being a real pain and I couldn't carry anything at all when I was using them. I ended up getting a cane and it was sufficient to keep my upright and stabilized so I could walk. I had a little box on the coffee table that I kept all my necessities in, so I didn't have to get up and go get things.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I am going to draw something on my brace-a la Frida Kahlo
  • LOVE the idea!!! I'll add it as a comment/post in the must haves :)

...and alternative for those that are walking without a walker - take that portable organizer with you wherever you go. Mine had pencils, notepads, my meds, the remotes, thermometer etc. I would have liked to add a bottled water but I was leary of making it too heavy.