Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can anyone help me please? I need to know how you figure out if you have Arachnoiditis. I have read the definition on spine-health. I had a failed epidural steriod injection in May 09. The dumb doctor put a tear in my eidural sac. This morning I couldn't get out of bed or sit up so now I am worried that I might have this from the damage caused to my epidural sac.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

• Hi Candy,
    I claim to be no expert on Arachnoiditis. I'm just learning about it myself. I found some wonderful websites that have help me alot with understanding this, I guess, disorder. I'm sure the wonderful person on this site that has given me much useful info, will do the same for you.

From what you have discribed above it could be, but further testing should be done of course to rule out other things, and or to diagnos you. The only test I know of that they use to diagnos is a MRI, but they use an EMG to rule out other clauses. For me, the EMG ruled out peripherial nerve damage.

Sorry I sound so nondiscriped, but like I said I'm new to this disorder. I to would love some more info on arachnoiditis. I hope this helps alittle candy, and that the mud got alittle clearer
    Bobbi Jo
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    My friend was diagnosed with Arachnoiditis after having a mylogram, so it is possible that the procedure you described could have caused it. it is a hard condition to get a positive diagnoses, she was at least 10 years getting the doctors to admit that was what she had.
    I wish you well

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thanks for your responses both of you.

That is horrible Liz that it took your friend that long. I hope if I do have it they figure it out soon. I have been referred to a pain management clinic but it could take me up to a year to get my first appointment.

Bobbi jo you are going to have to send me some of those websites that helped you please.

Thanks again,
  • It is not a given that a dural tear = development of arachnoiditis! Can it happen? Sure. Is it a 100% given? No! Even you yourself have stated that there's a lot that docs don't understand and know about the development and diagnosis of arachnoiditis. So making a blanket statement that dural tear means developing arachnoiditis, is a contradiction and is misleading.

Research studies out of the Cleveland Clinic and National Institute of Health contradict what you are saying in regards to development of arachnoiditis from dural tear.

There's more research to suggest that this problem is a result of a genetic/autoimmune issue then there is to suggest a dural tear as the issue.

• Hi arachnoiditiscanada 1977 and "C",

I appreciate the opinions of both of you but please do not be arguing about it. We all have our own opinions and should not be disbuting who is right or wrong when someone is asking for help. That just defeats the purpose of trying to help someone.

I will be looking into as much info about arachnoiditis as much as I can. So all info is helpful and appreciated.

Thank you,
  • What I take issue with, is any member trying to scare others with information that is disputable.

• by what Canada 1977 said. I am more worried about the fact that with all the issues I now have from my car accident March 16, 2008 that I am not getting the proper care from my doctors. I have a family doctor that will not admit that the car accident did permanent damage. I will not go into this though ok. I know that I already have ddd, stenosis and multiple herniations. I need to know if I also have something else happening so I can figure out how to deal with it. I am being referred to a pain management clinic but here in Canada that can take up to a year.

• I understand where you are coming from and that's cool. One thing that many of the members here forget, is that any post in any thread can be read by anyone on the Internet world wide who does a search with most search engines. With 11,000 members plus the thousands of guests on Spine Health each day, people are trying to gather the information or the courage to make decisions in regards to their health and well being. It would be a travesty for someone to read a post about anything on this site and based on that and the appearance that it is coming from someone well versed in the field of medicine, make a decision that robs them of pain relief or an improved quality of life. There are risks with any and all medical procedures related to the spine. There are times when the risk has to be weighed and taken, albeit not taken lightly.

We would not be human if we didn't allow our personal passion on specific subjects show through and show in our posts. However we have a personal responsibility to others, to not paint a picture that is misleading, intentionally or unintentionally.

If unintentionally I were responsible for a person deciding to have or not to have a procedure, that gravely impacted their well being, it would devastate me. So I do my level best to keep that in mind when I post to any thread.

My apologies for taking your thread off on a tangent. That was not my intent. I am just concerned that people reading this thread may feel the information being given is "the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth", when there are conflicting reports, conflicting studies and I for one am living proof of that.

• "C"

I do agree with what you are saying about the searching on the net. I guess I am one of the people that wouldn't just read one post but multiple posts and studies. I would never just take one persons prospective as the truth. I do research on a lot of sites to confirm what I am reading about and then go from there. I do listen to everything people tell me and go research after that to see what the experts have to say.

As for feeling bad if someone only listened to one persons comments. Well as I stated above we should all do major research and not listen to one persons opinion. Everything I respond to on the forums is my opinion and I make sure to tell people that even if I have gone through it before or have researched the subject.

Thank you for your apology. I do understand what you are saying and to a point. Maybe if it happens again give some articles or links for someone to look at to show what you are saying even if it is a pm, just a suggestion okay.

I would greatly appreciate any articles or links you have to help me figure out what is going on and if I do have/not have arachnoiditis. You can send them in a pm to me.

Thank you,
  • For people who are not familiar with arachnoiditis, I am enclosing a link to a basic primer on it, with some excellent photos:

• That is quite the link. It explains greatly how it will progress. I truly hope this is not what is going on with me. I feel sorry for anyone that has arachnoiditis.

Thank you,

• So I have been trying to confirm my suspicions of Arachnoiditis. My Neuro-surgeon's office told me to go to a Neurologist. (they weren't interested unless I wanted more surgery). So I went to a Neurologist who informed me that this is something to be confirmed by a back doctor. I explained what happen with the surgeon, so he suggested a Pain Management option. I am about to lose my job and benefits because I can't get an answer.

So I am asking you folks. WHO diagnosed your Arachnoiditis?

• But I had to ask if it was there.