Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Been under a lot of stress

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been under a lot of stress, my Dad was in the hospital again, but is doing ok now. My Mom was just diagnosed with Lung Cancer. I am the only one that handles things like this for them, which is leaving my neck in constant spasms. I have been going for PT but even there they are doing less exercises with me because of the spasms. Since Saturday night, when I swallow water or food I am feeling it in my neck. I am not sure who to see for this, or just to continue taking the muscle relaxers and hope things get better soon. I have stopped taking painkilers because they were making me nauseous, but am in quite a bit of pain. Any suggestions on who I should see, or what I should try? Was thinking of accupuncture? My surgery was on Aug 24.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have,

• Maybe a call to your surgeon would be the best thing. If your surgeon is like mine, they keep following your progress or lack thereof for up to a year, although mine follows my problems for two years. Your surgeon should also know if these problems are common. I tend to feel that muscle spasms are because my surgeon told me that having them for months after surgery isn't uncommon.

Take care, Ilene, and I hope you feel better. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Stress can really wreak havoc for us spineys.

• I spoke with the PM doctor today and I am doubling up on muscle relaxers, and can go up to 3x the amount, and if that doesn't help he said he will change me to another one. I really do think the 2x is helping a bit with some of the knots, at least I don't think I have gotten any more. I am going to PT at 6 tonight, and see where what she says. Just hate the idea of going backwards, when I have been working so hard to get better.

• It sucks to be making improvements and then suddenly start going backwards,but thats part of rehab unfortunately. I hope your dad feels better soon. My dad was just diagnosed with cancer as well so i understand the stress your going through. Hang in there.
  • I hope your Dad is doing ok, and that you are too!!!