Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Health Insurance Issues
For all who receive SSD, are you having taxes withheld from your payment? Im not sure what to do. I think I would rather have it taken out than have to pay them.

• taken out as well. I don't trust myself to put it away.... }:)

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    A lot depends on your other household income. So unless a tax professional advises you otherwise I'd start by withholding taxes and later change if your income situation changes.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Here is what the SSA website say about paying in on Social Security Benifits. So unless you think you'll have a problem with making to much, or like getting a large amount back at the end of the year. I don't see any reason to have taxes taken out.

Some people who get Social Security will have to pay taxes on their benefits. Less than one-third of our current beneficiaries pay taxes on their benefits.

You will have to pay federal taxes on your benefits if you file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your total income is more than $25,000. If you file a joint return, you will have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a total income that is more than $32,000.

For more information, call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) toll-free at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for IRS Publication Number 915, Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the IRS toll-free number, 1-800-829-4059.

If you wish to have federal taxes withheld from your check, see Can I have federal taxes withheld from my Social Security check?

The Social Security Administration has no authority to withhold state or local taxes from your benefit. Many states and local authorities do not tax Social Security benefits. You should contact your state or local taxing authority for more information
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    on this, but just as in many medical questions, getting the best answers need to come from professional trained personnel.
    Spine-Health is not a tax advice online forum group, so , read what is being posted but then make sure you talk to an expert about this.
    There are many online tax forum areas that will discuss this with detail, plus many of the large Tax companies will answer questions like that for free.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You can go to irs.gov and fill out the Social Security worksheet. It will give you a pretty good idea of what your tax liability on your SSD will be if any.

It all depends on the earned income from your household. If you are taxed it would more than likely only be on 1/2 of what your SSD income is.

You could also have your spouse (assuming that you have one) change his with holdings a little to cover any tax on your SSD. For instance if he is working and claiming 3 dependents he could drop one of those dependents slightly increasing his with holdings.

The worksheet is simple and will give you a good idea on what to do.
  • everyone for your help. Im sorry for asking a question that doesnt belong here. I wasnt aware that some questions cannot be asked. I thought this was a forum to help everyone. I feel like ive been scolded like a child. Ive had a very bad day and a very bad 3 months. Ill be taking a break for a while. I hope all my friend here a SH have a wonderful holiday, pain Free and Happy. My prayers are with all of you.
    My feeling are hurt
  • that way. I don't think that you were being scolded just reminded that we are not Tax Professionals (actually I was) here and not to trust just our word on it. I know how you feel because I have been in the same position before. Some folks just don't put what they are trying to say in to words very well. I hope that you do come back.
  • HI :)

I have a friend that just recently started recieving SSDI. And he was unsure if he should have taxes taken out. The SS office told him to call the IRS and he did.

He told that the IRS had a specific department that handled SS questions and they just asked him a bunch of questions about his income and such and then deemed it for HIM not having to pay taxes on his SSDI. but that doesnt mean that would be the same for everyone since everyone's situation is different.

To be sure just call the IRS, you may have to hang on hold a bit but its better then the alternitive. I would also suggest calling twice and speaking to 2 different people to make sure thier answers match. I do that with most important phone calls.

Telephone Assistance for Individuals:
    Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040
    Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).