Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 to Tll fusion with pain nine months out

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Exercise and Rehab
My spouse has multiple myeloma, a blood cancer that caused a tumor in L-5 and resulted in compression fractures culminating in a spinal fusion from L5 to T11. Has anyone out there had a fusion of this length in this area? He is 9 months out but still feels every screw etc and we aren't sure what to do other than the PT from months ago. Of course the MM and resulting neuropathy in his feet/lower legs complicates the picture. he is on Lyrica and takes one Percocet at night, down from a ton of stronger pain meds. Cold bothers him a lot and pain from movement or sitting for an extended period. We live in iowa, lots of snow and ice, so he is walking some on the treadmill but doesn't know how far to push it. We would love to find someone who has a similar fusion to talk with.

• Hello Julie,
    I had fracture and dislocate L1 due to motorcycle accident and my Doc. did spinal fusion from T10-L3 in June of 08. I didn’t do much in the first yr except daily 2 miles of fast walk technique. And use the inversion table to decompress the other disks below the L3….I found this out by accident while in Academy Sporting goods store. Otherwise I would feel the pinch in that area once in a while.

For my body, I found that stretching do help the nerves and muscles especially in my legs. If I skip one day of stretching I would wakes up in the middle of the night with cramps in either calves or hamstrings. And also stretching would also help my 2 miles of fast walking technique.

I do feel the screws once in a while if I over stretch in certain Yoga position while exercising (I then back off) or in cold weather, other than that I know the rods is there but don’t feel the crews at all.

I would suggest for your husband to listen to his body and push slowly as far as he can, his body will tells him when to back off.