Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neutering your four-legged friend - experiences

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Water Cooler
Hi fellow spineys.

I have a 10-month-old male Corgi named Wally and he's been driving us crazy the last few weeks. When we first got him and until recently, we decided we wanted to breed him because he's just the most darling little guy and we thought the world would be a better place with some more Wally's running around in it.

Wally and I go for a walk every morning around 8am and the last few weeks, he's been driving me crazy wanting to go for a walk every hour it seems. I talked with the vet when he got some medicine for a UTI, and she said that because he's not neutered and has all the full maleness (for lack of a better word) going on, he's obsessing over females. She said all the poor little guy wants to do is search out females or at the very least, find their piddle so he can sniff and lick it.

Hubby and I decided that now OUR world would be a better place without Wally driving us crazy all the time so we've got him scheduled to be neutered on Thursday.

I've never experienced this, so can you guys tell me what I should probably expect after we have this done? Is he going to settle down? How's the recovery?

Anything you have to add would be appreciated.

• Having done this to many of our cats and dogs, here is what I have found. The "hormones" that have our lovely 4 legged children going nuts - and driving US nuts seem to settle out within the 2nd or 3rd month after the "snip." For some reason the cats seem to take longer? Mine have all calmed down a bit, and aggressive, naughty behavior (chewing shoes, socks etc.) seem to reduce or go away. Same for clawing furniture and the like (to include spraying and tinkle in the wrong places!!) I hope yours goes as well.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I've never had any problems. Just be sure to watch his diet and not let him put on weight. They can become less active and the weight can creep on. Just like people, he'll be pretty sleepy initially.

I don't know if smaller dogs are affected differently, but I wouldn't think so.

Always something to worry about, right?

• The good thing is that this will be safer for him in the long run. Less prone to prostate and urinary issues as well as some other male dog issues that I won't elaborate on. Depending on the age of the dog, there are habits that he's formed that even after being neutered he may try to continue. So training and TLC will go a long way towards breaking him of those habits. The insanity brought on by hormones should drop and calm him down a bit. Since Corgies are prone to putting on weight, it is a good idea to watch his diet and exercise until they become routine for him.

Immediately after he is snipped, you don't want to let him jump around or try to get up and down off of the furniture. (depends on what he is normally allowed) For dogs you don't want him to lick his incision, so it is really important to keep the e-collar on him until the fur grows a bit and the stitches come out. When you aren't looking if he is not in an e-collar, he will try to lick his incision.

When you pick him up, depending on what time the surgery was done and how long he has been awake, he will be groggy and have very poor balance and coordination. It is best to have his kennel in the car for the ride home. He may even be so out of it for a while that he may accidentally pee in the house. He won't realize it, so don't get upset. If the vet clinic is open long enough, he should have been awake long enough to get past that stage, but it's best to know it can and does happen.

Usually dogs are sent home with a bit of Meloxicam for the pain and inflammation. Make sure he takes his meds as prescribed.

Just think of him as a little human who has just had minor surgery. He needs a little extra TLC for a few days, then he'll never know what's missing.

• Brenda, I was really hoping he'd settle down within a week or two so that my MIL doesn't have to deal with my little devil and me both after my surgery. I guess we'll see.

Gwennie, yeah, I know he'll be sleepy and like "C" said, Corgi's have a tendency to get fat anyways, so I'll have to keep an eye on him for sure. You're right, there's always something to worry about but I know he'll be fine. I plan on getting myself a Reese's Peanutbutter Cup Blizzard from Dairy Queen tomorrow to help me while I'm worried about him. Ice cream always helps.

"C", thanks for all the info. I'm feeling better about this, but it's going to be hard to leave the little guy at the vet in the morning. I hope I don't cry.

The vet mentioned the potential problems when you don't neuter your dog and he's already got a UTI, so I know it's the right thing to do.

He doesn't have any bad habits yet (he's never torn up anything, doesn't chew on furniture, doesn't take toilet paper off the roll, etc.), so I'm hoping the transition will be a rather easy one. The only thing that's really bothering me, like I mentioned in my original post, is that he wants to go for a walk all the time. What he does to try and let me know (like I don't already) is really annoying. Hopefully this will cure that behavior.

Interestingly, we allow him on the furniture but he doesn't like to be on them, so jumping up shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the tip about putting his crate in the car. That's a great idea. And thanks for telling me about the peeing in the house while he's recovery. I don't get upset with the little guy when he has an accident, so I've got that covered.

I'll take good care of my little baby and make sure he's as comfortable as he can be. We also got him a washable doggie diaper to keep him from try to get at the stitches. I just can't stand those e-collars and the way it makes them run into everything.

Anyway, thanks again my friends.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    dog neutered.
    Now, for a complete horror story, ask me how I did with the same surgery... Naw, dont ask... I am still alive and kicking today
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com