Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 days post-op

SapaSSapa Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

It's 5 days after my laminectomy (L5/SI) and I finally feel well enough to post!

I was only supposed to be in hosp. 1 night, but had trouble coming out of anesthetic and trouble with the morphine they gave me for pain. Apparently, in recovery, I was really upset and agitated because I thought the Doc. had cut my legs off!!! I guess they're used to hearing it all in the recovery room! I was sick (vomiting) and unalbe to sleep for the whole first night. So they kept me an extra day.

I`ve been pretty out of it since I came home too. I`m on Percocet for pain and also a muscle relaxent. They make me feel sick and loopy, so I haven`t been able to post anything till now.

So far, things seem good. I seem to have less numbness in my foot, though I still have numbness in my leg. The sciatic pain is less also, it's mostly at the back of my upper leg, and doesn't go down into my lower leg as much anymore. So hopefully as time passes, all that will improve too.

Just thought I'd let you know how I'm doing and thank all of you who helped me through the days leading up to surgery.

Hope all of you have been doing well lately, take care, and I'll talk to you later!

• It is always an adventure....sounds like the worst is over. Hopefully you got all of the problems out of the way at the beginning and it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

Now your job in recovery is to rest and walk....rest and walk....and to take it easy once you start feeling better!

• Great to hear from you so soon after surgery.
    It sounds like you are doing well, and with some more time passing you'll get better and better.

Welcome back with all your friends.
  • I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well. I hope you continue to recover and have no pain.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Good to hear from you. Sorry the initial few days were rough but glad they kept you. When I had my MicroDiscectomy, I stayed an extra 5 hours b/c I almost passed out during my PT final assessment. My blood pressure just plummeted and they realize I was dehydrated from the surgery. I was glad to stay a little longer.

The percaset do tend to make people naseous and I guess I never realized it until someone said it that they do the same to me. They make you really dizzy for a good 30 mins.

Rest ... you will be tired for awhile.
    So glad you are already feeling some relief of pain and numbness!!!
  • Hi Sandy! I'm happy to read that you are feeling a bit better. I'm glad the hospital kept you for an extra day. Wow @ your thoughts of them cutting off your legs! Do you remember any of that?

I bet your nerve pain will subside in time. Mine seems to be lessening. My Percocets still make me feel kind of woozy about a half hour after I take them. If you feel your pain meds aren't working like they're supposed to though, don't hesitate to tell your doctor. You want the pain to be controlled so you can heal. Hang in there, and update us whenever you can :)