Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my 10 week follow-up today

awalker819aawalker819 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
and just thought I would share since I know there's always room (and a need) for positive stories.

When my OS walked into the room today he just started at me for a minute smiling, and actually almost long enough to be awkward hehe and when I said "hi" he said that quite literally he had expected to see me lying on the exam table when he walked in (as he had several times during my pre-surgery visits). And actually he said it 3 more times before I left, ha.

Of course not only was I sitting in the regular chairs comfortably, but I have been without any pain for close to 2 months and completely off pain meds for several weeks. Once we went over how I was feeling, pain levels - or lack there of, etc., he told me he could hardly believe how well I was doing, that he couldn't even have hoped for such great results so quickly, that for the procedure I had, I probably had the best recovery/progress of any of his patients, and that so few people do as well as I have that he just felt in awe.

Other good news was that fusion had already started, but of course he gave me the usual wait 6 mo before going back to sports, still no NSAIDs etc. Surprisingly he totally passed on PT because not only did I "not look like I needed it", but after hearing and seeing my "routine" (of stretches, walking, etc.) it was pointless.

So basically I just had a great follow-up and am doing better than I or anyone else (including my OS) could've hoped, much less expected! I owe a lot to this forum for all of the great info, and all of the wonderful people I've spoken with! I sure wish more people had experiences like mine!

• :O)

I'm so glad for you!!!!! Ahhhh,....these kind of posts give me hope! on Thursday I go for my 6 week check and 1st xray. I counting on a good report...though in my case, I'll be asking for different pain meds (Vicoden is way strong and Tylenol has never worked on any kind of pain for me). But its so good to hear positive stories!!!!

Thanks and have a great holiday!
  • I am so happy for you! We need the "great outcome" stories, please continue to post and keep folks lifted and hopeful.
    Happy Holidays,
    May God Bless and Keep you... healing painlessly,
  • How exciting to read this - Thank You for sharing!

• Great news. I'm so glad you're feeling well.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Great to hear you are doing so well. I remember the look on my Surgeon's face when he "caught" me on my first solo walk near the Nurses' station. He was beside himself with such joy that on day one In was already walking by myself with my IV pole!

Good for you "AWalker" and keep up the good work and healing. Its always great to hear the good nrews.

• Now have a great Christmas.
  • Wow, this is fantastic! Just so encouraging to others out here and really good to hear that he is still wanting you to take it slow and that you know that feeling good doesn't mean you are back to normal.

It's really wonderful that you finally have some relief. . .especially in time for the holidays.
  • is that there are many more people with experiences similar to mine, they just don't happen to share as much as those who come in need of support.

Thanks to everyone for all their support. Happy and pain free (or at least comfortable) holidays to everyone!
  • I felt like this after my first PLIF. My pain level went to nothing, it felt so good I couldnt believe it. Sadly this was short lived. I hope you continue success with your surgery.
    My cervical fusion was perfect though and has remained that way knock on wood.

• I love to hear stories like this as i am in my 6th week and starting to feel so much better..

Thanks for the postitive story..
  • I didn't get off to such a great start as you - but I think I've managed to do SO much better than expected as well!

I feel so much better than pre-op that I have to keep reminding myself that I still have complications (the numbness) and have to have the hardware out. Honestly the pre-op stuff was SO bad that there is no comparison.

I've lost weight, and even though I can't really bend over to put on shoes without starting a severe Charlie Horse cramp, I CAN cough, sneeze and walk without excruciating lightning-like pain or CES :)

I do wonder sometimes about the things I've just trained myself to NOT do anymore, I wonder if I COULD do them or if I should just plain avoid them for life - things like running, jogging, buying non-slipon shoes, tickle-fighting with the family, avoiding bending like it's a plague, going anywhere without my Bio-Freeze gel, stopping taking Tylenol PM... and that's not counting the skiing and horseback riding which I really have written out of my life. I really did used to be a different person before all this.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I am so happy for you! Keep listening to your body if you do have any pain...but for now just enjoy the holidays.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Wow, congrats on fusing already! I'm jealous :D Sounds like you are doing everything right!
  • I'm jealous too....My doc looked at me said, "dear...its early days yet!". Then his face changed when I was about to cry.
  • Great to hear that you are doing so well. I agree that this site has been so helpful. Everyone sharing ideas, thoughts and encouragment. Before this site I felt so alone and isolated because nobody I personally goes through this and I'm so young, so it's nice to know others are out there. How far can you walk now?
  • Well I haven't been keeping track of my distance as much now, but I've been walking usually close to 7 miles a day. I've been doing a lot of my walking at the gym on a treadmill, so I've been increasing the incline more and more rather than focusing on the distance. The day after Xmas I went on about a 2 mile hike kind of into the mountains and did great. No pain then or anytime after. Well aside from totally normal soreness from using muscles I hadn't in a while. And actually that felt really good because I haven't been able to be as active as I like in close to 2 yrs!

• Great news, here's to a continued good recovery!