Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Three Level ACDF

BigGBBigG Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Will have surgery on Jan. 22, 2010. C4-7 with three plastic cages and titanium plate and eight screws. Will not wear a collar of any kind as my NS believes this just "babies" the neck and prolongs recovery time. Anticipating off-work three to four weeks, (I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher, just sitting for ten hour shift.) Will have some PT during this period. I have a highly reccommend NS and believe the surgery and recovery will be uneventful and with minimal discomfort. I know the surgery will decrease the likelyhood of permanent spinal cord damage in the event of a traumatic injury; and I hope it will alleviate my symptoms from the spinal nerve impingement and cord compression. Gotta keep on keeping on!!

• You have a very positive attitude which is great! There are no guarantees though when it comes to spine surgery, so please be prepared that things may work out a little different, i.e. a longer time to recover.

Best wishes,

• Thankx Marianne, I know anything can happen! I have had some minor procedures in the past i.e. vasectomy and they did NOT go as planned! I am apprehensive about the ordeal but realize what will be will be. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Best regards
  • Hi Gary,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and check out the doctor written per-reviewed articles as well. keeping a positive attitude through the surgery is so important. Remember your surgeon can only take you so far and then the rest is up to you. Sounds as though you will have no issues in that category. Also surgery is no magic pill and presto the pain is gone. It does take sometime for the healing to go on. While you maybe back at work in a short time, you may still experience pain and this is normal. Will you be using allograft or autograft for the fusion or some other type of bone grafting material. Keep in mind that multi-level fusions have a higher failure rate of non-fusion. So in those cases it seems the gold standard is autograft, something you may want to address with your surgeon as well, if not already.

Anyway just wanted to stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Look forward to reading more of your post and and a good story on the out come. Take care.
  • Thankx Tamtam. The NS will be using a plastic "cage" and a man-made material to stimulate bone growth at each level. Second NS did suggest a two level procedure now with a likely single level in the future. Since the third already shows problems and with high possibility of adjustant level failure my NS feels the three level is my best bet and he feels confident complete fusion will be succcessful. I have to believe in him!
  • Hi Gary,

I will be needing, in the sometime future, a fusion for C3-C7, first have to heal from 2nd lumbar fusion. Not sure how long it can be put off without any nerve damage risks.

I will be interested to see how you do, so please keep us posted, many have been through what you will be going through, and others will be later. This is a terrific site for giving help/support and getting it.
  • Less than four weeks till 3 level ACDF. Starting pre-op medical clearance tests and getting nervous! I realize this is my only hope to alleviate symptoms and avoid possible permanent damage. I have a wonderful wife (ER-RN) who will be home with me the first 5 days post-op and everyday I read these forums. The positive stories give me comfort and the others cause some anxiety! Hope all of you had a wonderful holiday and wishing all of you a healthy and prosperous new year!
  • Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I've had a 3-lvl ACDF at the same levels you're having done and so I know how scary it is and what it's like.

It's so strange how our minds work sometimes. I remember that I was really, really scared before my ACDF and now that it's been over a year, it seems like it was a piece of cake now that I'm terrified about my upcoming lumbar surgery. And that's such a stupid thing to think because I KNOW that I was scared out of my mind partly because I'd never had a surgery at all before. So, our heads are sometimes our worst enemies (besides our spines, of course).

Something funny happened today. I saw my PCP for the first time in a year and a half (she was the first one to diagnose me with cervical problems) because I've been dealing with my spine team and surgeon since this all started a year and a half ago.

I realized as things progressed during the discovery of my cervical issues that my PCP had downplayed what was wrong with my spine and when I saw her after so long today, she looked at my chart and said, "I remember when I looked at your cervical MRI that you had the neck of an 80-year-old."

This whole process of spine stuff is just...well...interesting, intrigueing, odd, etc. It's quite a journey and we'll be here for your journey.

Please feel free to PM me if you have questions or want to vent. I understand what you're going through. I also think it's fantastic that you have a RN for a wife. What a comfort that must be.

Take care and keep us posted.
  • It's me again Gary. I posted a reply to you on another post. I'd love to hear how you're doing.

Three levels are not common so it's tough to find others to learn from. As I said in my other post I'm doing so much better than before the surgery.

I just want to know if others with 3 levels get their range of motion back. That's my missing link right now. I worked with a PT and am now with a great massage therapist.

Hope all is well with you!