Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hope I ain't overdoing it!

B52BB52 Posts: 247
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Morning y'all! Here I am, a month and a half after my L5-S1 PLIF. Except for a few minor dents and dings, I feel pretty great, for the most part. No way I'm 100%, but I wasn't 80%
before surgery. Today, I'm riding 3 hours (not driving) up
to see my mom, brother and most of my sisters in the little town where they live in Illinois. I plan to stay with them for three days and nights and then ride back to Arkansas.

My NS didn't think the ride would be a problem as long as I use common sense and don't over do stuff. That'll be the hard part. All the family and 8 neices and nephews will keep me busy if I let 'em! I'm so looking forward to seeing family again since I hadn't been up there since a couple weeks before surgery. I'm taking my pain meds with me just in case I need 'em. And my constant companion, the dreadful brace. I still much dislike that thing, but I'm dealing with it a little better.

I hope everyone out there feels as good this far after surgery as I do right now. I also I hope I feel this good after my road trip! Wish me luck and I'll post back Sunday if I make it.

Thanks and Aloha,
Aaron
advertisement

Comments

• Wow, I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling so good and are up to the drive (ok, ride). I'm hoping this trip doesn't set you back and if it doesn't, you know you're well on your way to being your old self again. However, don't forget - once a spiney, always a spiney.

I'm so happy for you and am anxious to hear how you're doing when you get back. If you're feeling good, you should share some of the tricks you used to help you along the way.

Take care.
    Cath
  • Glad to hear you are doing well. Take it easy on your visit; young ones (sometimes even adults) don't know when to stop. YOU have to set the rules, which can be hard.

By the way, is B52 for the aircraft or lovingly cooky music group?? Just wondering.... (53 miles west of venus....)

• Just do be very careful - hate to ruin your good streak!

Have fun though :)
  • I took a 4 hour ride to OK for Thanksgiving, I had to get out every hour or hour and a half to stretch, and slept when I got there. Time there was good, only my little one though. MIL has a couple steps going into her house, those were tough. IF you remember to think about your back, you should be fine. Have a good trip,
    Happy Holidays,
    shirley
  • Hey there, sounds like you are very aware of your situation and already know your 'weaknesses' with family fun so knowing you can be pushed, should help you to remind yourself not to do it.

Glad you are doing well enough to take the ride.
    Be smart and have fun.
  • I went on an 8 hour trip to NM from OK at week 6 so GOOD FOR YOU!!! Take it easy.. It is a fun ride from here!
  • Hi Aaron, I hope your ride went well and you are feeling great!
  • Good evening Lisa! Well, the B 52 thing. I love the band and I have records of theirs from way back. My first, the Rock Lobster, is a record..the big black kind with a hole in the middle. BUT I was in the US Air Force for years and worked on a couple Strategic Air Command bases around B-52's. I have always thought they were some of the coolest and butt kickinest planes around. So, the name seemed like it ought to fit!
  • Good evening Lisa! Well, the B 52 thing. I love the band and I have records of theirs from way back. My first, the Rock Lobster, is a record..the big black kind with a hole in the middle. BUT I was in the US Air Force for years and worked on a couple Strategic Air Command bases around B-52's. I have always thought they were some of the coolest and butt kickinest planes around. So, the name seemed like it ought to fit!
  • Hi Kath, how are ya? I'm home from my four day road trip to see family. I did well and I feel well, thanks for asking. Some of the things I did to make the trip well were, well first I took my little memory foam pillow to put behind my back in the car. Secondly, I let each family member I met clearly see the ugly brace I had so they'd know not to plumb hug me to death (small hugs greatly appreciated tho). I also wanted them all to feel free to ask about it and why I had it on. Especially the young ones were curious about it. Seems like once they knew what it was and why I had it, they didn't concern themselves by it anymore. Then it was just playtime. I did take the brace off so I could hold my brand new, almost two months old baby neice girl.

Mostly tho, I just kept in mind what I have just been through. There was plenty of room for me to be an active member of the family and still be a 'spiney'! Plus, I stayed the nights at my mom's house, where things might be a little slower than at some of my sister's or my bro's.

Thanks again for asking after me. I hope this finds you well.

Aloha,
    Aaron
  • Aaron,

Thanks for your service to our Country and your great choice in music. I just crack up when I think of lyrics like: Planet Claire has pink air, all the trees are red, no one ever dies there, no one has a head......Brings me back to the good old days!!!

Glad you are out visiting, its good for our mental state, as any of us who have been mainly housebound can tell you!
advertisement