Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

radio frequnecy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Lower Back Pain
i just had radio frequency done last week god iam in so much pain still.the doctor says it should give me relive for 4 months up to a year. does anyone no if no relive from pain what can they do next? the suregon says i need a fuse but am terrified to have done , any help would be appriciated.. just join the site very helpful so far thanks for any feedback thanks again...

• I have had great success with the radiofrequency, also known as rhizotomy and RFA. If you type in rhizotomy or RFA in the search box at the top of this page you will see that lots of folks here have had much success with this procedure.

The pain may get worse as it has for you before getting better. Your nerves have been burned and they are not happy. You may also experience muscle spasms for up to 30 days after procedure.

It usually takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks for the nerves to die and for you to feel relief so try and be patient.

Try ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off on your lower back and that should help.

I usually have a rhizotomy about 1 time a year and they do really help me.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • Did not do much for me Tony. I wound up getting the fusion. Everyone is different.
  • hope thats not the case for me.. now i feel pain numbness in buttock area and lower legs god cant wait till this goes away .. also bladder is more active then usual.. is that normal....
  • that is normal. Do you know how many levels that you had done?

You must remember that your nerves have been burned and severed. They do not die right away and are not happy about the process.

Have you been told that the pain is coming from your facet joints? Were you awake during the procedure? Was the procedure itself painful?

These quaestions are important because they are all indicators as to whether or not this procedure will work for you.
  • i had 3 levels done... the dr. thinks that the pain is nerve related, they are trying everything with the nerves first.. but the surgueon says i need a fuse of the disks if this doesnt work....yes i was awake, and yes yes was very painful....
  • That is great news. I have had this done many, many times and know for a fact that the more the procedure hurts the better chance you have of it actually working. If they "burn" a nerve that is not causing your pain it will hardly be painful at all.

It is very important to be awake during the procedure so that you can tell the doc when you feel the pain. The procedure is much more accurate in hitting the correct nerves that way.

I understand your pain. It is very painful to have 3 levels done at once. Lots of spasming and burning down the leg.

The thing that helped me the most was ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off the lower back. Also lots of rest.

Do not lose hope. It will take the nerves from 4-6 weeks to die and in the mean time they are very aggravated and letting you know it.

I remember the 1st time that I had this done the doc said it would only take 2 weeks to feel results. I thought that it had failed until I reached the 4 week mark.

I am not a doc but from what you are saying I would say that there is a very good chance that this will work for you. It will take patience.

Fusions are not to be taken lightly. They hold no guarantees and sometimes even make things worse. Give this a chance before you decide to let them fuse you.

Good luck and please do keep us posted.
  • wow thanks for the info... good to here. so painful right now, always hurting..... do you no if this doesnt work is there anything else you no of to have done beside getting fused?
  • is the only thing that I am aware of. But, be very careful because fusions do not have a very high success rate.

Try to be patient and wait out the 6 weeks if necessary. There is another member here that had 3 levels done and was just about to give up on it. At 5.5 weeks she was able to reduce her pain meds by 50%.

If you type in RFA or rhizotomy in the search box at the top of this page you will see her posts and others that have had this done.

Keep us posted. I will follow your progress.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. As you've probably noticed by now, there is some great info on this site and our forum members are knowledgeable, caring and supportive.

Did you have selective nerve blocks done before your RFA? That's generally the first step where they numb the nerves that they think are causing the problems and if that works, then the RFA has a great chance at helping. I would be surprised if the nerve block wasn't done before they tried the RFA.

I had ESIs, facet joint injections, and nerve blocks done and none of them were successful enough to consider them for a final treatment approach. I'm now scheduled for a TLIF on Jan. 6, so I have to assume that that's the next step if an RFA doesn't work.

But, like JJ has said, it takes quite a while to see if the RFA works because the nerves they burned are upset and cause pain while they're dying. But, once they die, you can have relief for up to 18 months.

Good luck to you and be sure to keep us posted.

• My expierience with rfa is that it worked sometimes but the nerve almost always regenerates and the success depends on the DR,s talent level. this is only a temporary fix at best. There are other options
    not everything works for everyone. When I had my lower back surgery they were able to identify the facet nerves that were causing my problem and perminently terminate them with a laser. I am going on 2 plus years and no pain. look at all options and ask many questions, too many doctors only want to treat you with the old way of doing things no matter what the results
  • i HAD A 4 LEVEL FUSION LESS THSN A YEAR AGO AND I REALLY NEED THIS RADIOFREQUICEY INJECTION having a hard time getting it approved....i know it will help i did the research... And i know it will work
  • hope you can get it approved.. so far mine is stiil hurting after 3 weeks. alot of people here say be paintent... just hope they are right..
This discussion has been closed.