Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello everyone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, Hope everyone is doing well. I have a protruded and degenerated disc. L3 or L5 don't remember exactly which. But I had lower back injury (after lifting a heavy bag) lot of pain was on Hydrocodone. When it happened I couldn't walk or get out of the bed by myself.It lasted 5 months and only gradually (very) healed in the last two years. Sciatica into the right hip and extending to knee. Sometimes I feel like the whole right leg is weak. MRI showed disc protrusion and degeneration.
Physical therapy helped, exercise like walking, tai chi helps. But the back gets stiff and a little painful after a day's work. Cannot do any major exercise like Pilates, yoga, running. cannot bend.
My question is has anyone on this website attempted a pregnancy with a bad back! ?
Thank you,

• I have not had a pregnancy since I had a bad back but have seen many members here that have.

You might want to type in pregnancy in the search box at the top of this page to read some of their posts.

Have you talked to your doctor about this? It seems that would be a good start.

I could only imagine that carrying a baby would put more pressure on your back and cause more pain but there may be different ways to deal with it.

Here is a link to some good info for you. I hope that it helps.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
  • Hi Lill,

Welcome to the site. I had baby #2 about 1 1/2 years after a 2 level lumbar fusion.

My Dr. gave me the OK to "start trying" 6 months post-op. It took a while but did happen. As with my first pregnancy I took prenatal yoga classes (highly recommend them). As for how much strain this placed on my back, its hard to say because my daughter decided to be a preemie and was born 10 weeks early. This had nothing to do with my fusion.

My first daughter weighed only 5 pounds at birth, but I can imagine a much larger baby would put a heck of a lot more strain on your back.

One thing about pregnancy is that at a certain point the body starts releasing a chemical (can't remember the name) that loosens the joints. This can make it easy to overdo things because you feel so "limber"!

Definitely talk with your Dr. about your concerns. There are many things you can do to protect your back while you are pregnant, but of course, there are no guarantees about anything, so start with your Dr., good luck.

Feel free to PM me if you want.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. have you tried any of the new nerve pain medications out for your sciatica? :? they might make a world of difference. they did for me. :D i am on Lyrica and it has worked wonders!!! talk to your doctor if you are interested.. :-C we have had some successful pregnancies on here. :X best of luck to you.. >:D< Jenny :)
  • Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for the reply.
    First of all Congratulations for achieving child birth with a bad back. Did you have significant pain in pregnancy? Were you able to carry on with your daily work- job, home chores, cooking e.t.c ? Were you on any pain meds during pregnancy? Did your condition worsen after it?
    Also what afterwards? I am quite sure I cannot carry weights- carseat?
    I cannot pick up anything bending down? Did you have this issue? How did you deal with it?
    I have all these questions for you and others in a similar situation.
  • Thanks Jenny. My sciatica on a regular basis is manageable. It's what will happen in a pregnancy that scares me. I don't know if this medication Lyrica will be allowed during that time. Although I will definitely talk to me doc about it!