Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Titan Titanium Endoskeleton on L4 & L5 360 Fusion Information Please!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
First off I Would like to say to ever one out there. I am a new to this wonderful forum but not new to back pain. I have had back pain for 25 years and I am 54 now. I had a microdiscectomy at L5 S1 21 years ago and was forced to retired from my job as a Fire Captian and have made it until now with a tolerable amount pain and now it’s time for a tune up. The pain is problem and my surgen is recommending L5 S1 disk removal and the Titan Spine Titanium ENDOSKELETON fuison at both levels. He says I am a perfect canadate, I am in great shape and all the other disks are in good shape. Any information and support would be Great.

Thanks Randy

• If I understand your post correctly, this would be a one level fusion. The disc is located between the lumbar 5 and sacral 1 vertebrae. He would remove that disc and use the Titan implant to replace the disc and to hold the space between the two vertebrae.

The Titan is one company that designed and manufactures a particular type of fusion instrumentation. It has had good results in clinical studies and is supposed to be very strong.

Different surgeons use a variety of different hardware. If your surgeon has had good results with the Titan, and you are comfortable with your surgeon, have done your research and feel this is the best option for you, then you can feel comfortable proceeding with the surgery.

You can read about it here:

and the study is here:

http://www.titanspine.com/pdf/Titan PR, March 08.pdf

Every time I respond to a post, I learn something new. I had never heard of this company and it turns out it is right in my neighborhood. Further more, the doctor who started Spine-Health, Dr. Peter Ullrich, is the inventor of the device!

I don't recall anyone else posting about it or having said they were having this implanted...but most don't ask what hardware they will receive when having fusion. And, it is fairly new so it may not be in wide use yet....

Please post often with your comments and questions. Many people have had lumbar fusion and will be happy to share their experiences with it.

• My mistake L4 and L5 will be replaced, they are tost.
  • Where is the dr located that is willing to do this procedure?I have spoken to DR Ullrich and he is the only dr I have found that will do the surgery. Of course he is the creator but I cant find anyone else that does it and I live in Ky. Thanks, Lenora
  • Dr. Andy Kranenburg has been trained in this procedure and he says it's the BOMB. I hope he is right , it's look very good.

Thanks, Randy
  • The website indicates it is being used all over the country, but it does not provide a link to surgeons who do this particular procedure. You could try emailing or calling ithem.
  • Dr. Andy Kranenburg is located in Medford Oregon and i believe he served a fellowship in San Francisco, He looks pretty young. My problem among many is I Just need to put my Big Boys Pants on and get her done. I no all will be well and the pain will go away and then i can go Fishing.

Thanks for the support,

• Any one out there have this procedure and can you tell me what to expect.I have good health besides this problem and i am not over weight and quite active. Any advice is great.

• if I had the exact same brand of implant, but I had three levels done through the front (four days after they tried to go through the back) and my x-rays now look similar to what is shown on the Titan page. I was at OHSU for my surgery. My main problem since surgery has been stiffness. I have one more level fused than you will though, so that is to be expected. It's not an easy surgery, but if you're in good shape, you have that going for you. If your surgery is anything like mine, it will greatly reduce your pain. I've had a few flare-ups since surgery, but I've got to admit that they were nothing like the pre-surgery pain.

Sounds like you've been suffering long enough.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Linda,

Thanks for your great info, this site is very cool for the all the help full information and hints to help in the recovery process.

Randy, have you looked over the Pro-Op must haves list? I inherited the list just before my surgery and while it was overly extensive, it did help me to focus and prepare for my surgery.

One thing I'll warn you about that you may or may not know already - recovery is a long process. Even being in good shape. You need your BONE to fuse. You might feel great, but if you go around bending, twisting or lifting before the fusion is solid, you could set yourself back quite a bit.

Also, once you are fused on a level, all the levels above and below take on extra duties - they get bent harder - I'm not explaining well, but you will have to take extra care for life if you want to spare your adjacent discs.

I am not athletic, but I am not a sedate person either. I feel like I recovered exceptionally well despite my complications. It still took me 6 motnhs to get to doing any PT and 9 mo. to a year to start feeling human again.

Fusion surgery is one of the most painful surgeries you can have. Even just rolling over in bed is torture afterwards. And that's just the muscles - that's not taking into account the nerves! For months I had little zinger shooting nerve pains in my legs. I still get them about every few days.

Also - I hardly know anyone who gets rid of the backache. Leg pain on the other hand, yes, my surgery helped me there - but the backache is just always there, like a constant headache.

You could probably search this forum for post-op stories - where you get the step by step nitty gritty of recovery. I know I posted my in-hospital progress here. Others do the same. It's sometimes scary to read, other times it's comforting.

Best of luck -

Hey, have you scheduled it yet? We are all more than happy to help answer questions and all...

• Saltzworks,

I am trying to get in the righ frame of mind and slow down my jet's. Once i focus and think about the great outcome i am going to have, and noing that if i continue the way i am now I won't be walking.
    My surgeons assistant contacted me yesterday and said the middle of January, and mention that the surgeon has performed this surgery over 100 times and feels very comfortable with this procedure.
    I like the fact that he had completed a fellowship in the Bay area, and from what i have understand that's a good thing.

Thanks Randy
  • Hey Randy, talking about cooling your jets - I was all set to go, had work all squared away - and guess what, the dr. re-scheduled me! TWO more weeks of waiting. Talk about anxiety!!!

I'm half expecting the same thing to happen on my hardware removal. I wouldn't be surprised.

If you are in the Bay area - at least you might have some decent enough weather post-op to be able to get out and walk - wishing you the best!
  • Our main home is between Ashland and Medford in Southern Oregon in the Rogue Vally, and we have a beach home in Brookings which i like the best for the weather and walking on the beach. Having your surgery re-scheduled should be against the law!!!
    I should have my surgery some time in January, the pain is getting worse every day so the sooner the better.I am sure I will no by the first of the week.I need to work on all the stuff i will need for my post-op.

• I woke up New Years Eve morning and had an epiphany that I should do a full court press with a hardcore traction program along with a regimen of Systemic Enzyme and lower lumbar exercises. It looks like we are going to have Randy’s house of pain, good thing we have a hot tub.
    Cindy purchased me 2 Inversion Tables for traction, one for the Coast and one for home. My family Dr. has been very supportive and help me with pain control and understands the severity of my condition. At this time I am going to Pass on surgery and do everything in my power to feel better every day.
    After doing a lot of research and exhausting the medical experts for treatment of shots in the spine, electrocution, Physical therapy and then reading real peoples stories on the internet of the aftermath of this kind of surgery and the effects it has on the disk above and the sacrum below is why I am going keep what I have a little longer.
    With two day’s of Randy’s house of pain under my belt and I am doing quit well and I am sure I will feel better day after day.

I want to thank all of my friends for there support and there nice Emails
    Life is better,
  • Randy - I hope this works out for you and you don't end up causing yourself more injury. I've considered getting one of those inversion tables. At this point, it would do little to help my original injury, but taking some of the pressure off my remaining discs from time-to-time might be a good idea.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I was just think having a Titan thingy would be cool since I am such an NFL fan of that team. :) NO offense intended, just a little lightness.