Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Returning to Work

lilac100llilac100 Posts: 180
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have great news, I think. I'm going back to work Monday, almost 3 months from my TLIF. I'm excited, and scared. My job isn't easy and I'm scared I'm not going to be able to do it. I get paid very well and I really don't want to change jobs. There is nothing around here that pays as well. Anyway my PT and Dr think I'm ready to try it. It is only 3 days then 2 weeks off. If it doesn't go well they will put me back on medical leave and work more on weakness.

I will get to see all my peeps again. I haven't seen most since I've been off on leave. A few I've had lunch and stuff with. Guess you find out your true friends during this kind of thing too.

Can you tell I'm all over the place with emotions. If anyone can suggest things to help I would appreciate it. Since no ibuprophen I'm worried about muscle pain. In my job I eat them like candy for a variety of other pain issues. Anyone have any substitues? Anyone try BioGel stuff?

• Good luck getting back to work. I hope you have a good lumbar seat if you're sitting during the day. I haven't heard of biogel but know some thermal wraps are good but quite costly. A lot of thermal gels and wraps have an anti inflammatory in them so just check the ingredients first. Let us know how it goes. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I LIVE with my Biofreeze - gotta love something that not only turns down the volume on the pain knob but also kind of feels tingly and good.

I would make sure you are getting a good mix of sitting vs. getting up and moving around. Too much of either will probably not feel too good.

It's VERY good that you only go back for a few days, then time off - it's great that you are going back! :) :)
  • I just wanted to wish you well!
    It sounds like this is going to be a scary yet refreshing 2 days!

The goal is to remember you are still not 100%.
    Mix sitting, standing, walking. If you have to, set your phone alarm or calendar to remind you to move every 30 mins.

I don't have advice on the anti-inflammatory as I live on ibuprofin (I joke that I should own stock in the company). Does your doctor suggest anything? I think the hot and cold packs are good to have. Cold keeps inflammation flare ups under control.

Let us know how it goes. I am sure it will be strange but good to get a flavor for getting back to normal. Good luck and congrats on making it to this milestone!
  • Much luck to you! What kind of work do you do, Lilac?

• sleeprgirl said:
    Much luck to you! What kind of work do you do, Lilac?

Unfortunately I'm a welder in an automobile factory, so not gonna be easy. They do have a 27lb weight limit so the doctor approved that high. Like I said I'm a little scared but excited too. I really miss everyone, and believe it or not, I love welding.