Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year post op c4-6 fusion (severe stinging pain)

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Either the surgery did not work, or it made it worse. I do not know for sure. my last mri was 5 months after the surgery acdf. he said everything is fine on his end. on my end the stinging was still there the same before surgery, and the spasms and all that were still there. one year later, ha, and the stinging burning is worse than ever. Why did he not perform more test than just an mri and xray after surgery. now I went to my neurologist and explained it all and how my surgeon just kept shoving it off. The surgeon now will not get me in till feb 2010. like he wants nothing to do with me. so my neuro is going to do an emg to see if or what nerves are damaged. this is what the surgeon should of done when I was still complaining of pain months after the surgery. I never want to go through that surgery again. it was hell for me from the moment I woke up. has anyone had this problem with this kind of stinging, burning pain before and after the surgery that got worse? I cannot go reg shopping, grocery shopping, or do laundry. these things all cause the stinging to come on and then I cannot move, I have to sit for about 2 hours and not move my neck or arm for it to go away. (so movement with arms is a big trigger on the pain.) any suggestions. thanks (surgery was 10.2/09 acdf c4-6

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had my ACDF C5-C7 in 5/06. Had more symptoms about a year later and did two rounds of ESI with minimal effect. Then the surgeon did CT myelogram and found significant stenosis so he did a posterior cervical formainotomy with some fusion work (bone only) 5/08. When the pain flared up again he sent me for ESI again which helped a little. But when I went back to him in May of 09 with some different symptoms (maybe indicating C4) and low back severe pain he seemed to be not interested in listening.

It was then I decided to scour my area for a new orthopedic spine surgeon. Luckily I had a friend-of-a-friend who is a big guy. He had lumbar surgery last December and had a great outcome. So in June of this year I switched and am SO glad I did. This surgeon has a good reputation and really really listens! It all led to this new OS finding a significant problem at L3 and we'll deal with my neck later.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos