Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello - just got home from surgery!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all!

I've been lurking for the last few weeks and have really come to appreciate this website. Things moved fast for me and I had a lumbar microdiscectmy Dec. 18th. They also removed a synomial cyst. So far so good! Since I'm somewhat limited in what I can do I thought this might be a good time to join the forum.

Columbia SC

• I am glad that you are doing well so far and hope that you continue on the fast track to recovery.

I am also in SC not far from where you are.

You probably already know that you will find lots of support here.

I will see you around the forum.
  • Thanks J.J.

I'm pretty pleased with the results but now I'm beginning to hurt a bit in my left leg and I still have some tingling in my toe and today the muscles in my leg seem a little sore and tender. I will admit that I was more active than I probably should have been and that may be why I am hurting a bit more today than yesterday. Its a bit of a let down since I felt so damn good right after waking up from the surgery. They kept me overnight because I couldn't get my plumbing funtioning within their time limits. (And yes, she warned me that she would have to tube me if I didn't do it soon! As if I wasn't under enough pressure as it was! And then after she tubed me and got 1500 cc's they threatened to do it again if I didn't do it by myself by midnight! When I finally beat that deadline I felt like I was taken off death row!) At first I was ok with staying overnight at the hospital but soon realized it is one of the hardest places to get rest.
  • Hospitals are not a good place for anyone to rest and recover. Please do not give in to temptation and overdo things. Microdiscectomy's are notorious for re-rupturing. You must follow docs orders to the letter.

Don't worry about having some pain. That is normal. It will take the nerves some time to heal and you may even feel pain in places that you did not have pain pre op.

Resist those urges when you have good days. Let yourself heal and you will have plenty more good days.
  • I hope you have an excellent recovery. Take it easy, bending, twisting, blah blah blah. I know you've heard it a million times. I did have to LMAO on the catheter part of your post. Those are awful, male or female. I had to beg to have mine removed. A superbly kind nurse was happy to assist, what a relief :) Be well and kind to your body.

Nearish Nashville TN
  • The nurse apoligized profusely for putting the cath in and it did hurt like hell going in but once there I almost begged her to leave it alone. But no, they said it had to come right back out. 1500 cc's was a lot and I had no idea I was holding that back. I thanked her when it was over because I did feel a lot better and I had really wanted to experience it. That may sound sick but we have a child that has gone through some real tough times in the last 36 years and I had to watch them do this to him several times in the last few years. Now I know slightly what he felt, but only slightly. I don't know all the technical terms but his whole back has been fused with double rods and all. Mikie is 36 years old going on 6 months and we keep him at home. I'm sure picking him up is part of the reason my back is giving me trouble. (I tried to tell the insurance company that they would be paying for the lift they wouldn't authorize one way or another! 4 hernia repairs and one back surgery later - I told you so!)

Columbia SC
  • Hope you are doing well today. J.J. is right on about the importance of rest during your recovery. I'm 4 wks post lumbar fusion, and am up to walking about 2 miles a day, plus I live alone, so I have to take care of things around my house also. I have to rest about every 3-4 hrs during the day, otherwise the pain gets to severe. This means lying down for around 1 hour each time. It is obviously very important to be as activity as your doctor prescribes for you, just don't over-do.

Take care,

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by and all is going well so far for you... :D be sure and make yourself at home and explore the other forums as well.... :? follow your doctors orders!! :D good luck for a complete recovery!! =D> Jenny :)
  • Thanks Jenny. I spent the day at the magic shop doing the light stuff, just showing a few tricks and being sure to lift nothing heavier than a deck of cards. Towards the end of the day I realized I had been standing all day and I felt the need to sit! Now that I am home and ahve had a chance to sit I feel the need for a pain pill and the bed! I'm sure glad I wasn't out trying to do something real strenuous. I do think the activity today did me good. The last thing I want to do is lay in the bed all day. I'm going to go do some gently stretching and get some rest.

• by the way, my uncle lives in cloumbia... it is a small world after all. :D so glad you had a good day out!!! :D Jenny :)
  • Lulu, if you (or anyone else) are ever in the Lexington/Columbia area, stop in and see me at The Barnyard Flea Market. My wife sells Avon in booth F23 and I use F21-22 for my Magic Shop. You don't have to buy anything, just drop in and say hello.

What's the secret greeting sign for Spineys in this group, both hands holding the back? :D