Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain year after C5 C6

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I Had c5 c6 fusion Oct,3rd 2008 and not very much NS Doctor
advise I'm 40 yrs old things don't seem to be getting better even after I tell myself every morning it is going to be a good day. still take norco daily tried Lyrica and others with bad reactions to these type of meds.
since Aug 2009 I have had more pain than what I usually have
I know stress isn't helping.

What I need to know is if others are encountering this
and memory problems

• I'm under a lot of pressure to go back to normal again and to start back to work I'am having a hard time just getting out of bed and have had memory trouble since the fusion been told it will get better okay when?
  • i dont think people realize how much stress plays a role in increasing pain. lately i had a stressful time and found my pain actually doubled.
    try to evaluate your pain level when you feel calm. if in fact you find your pain still high i would contact your dr for a consultation.
    as for memory in all probability is is related to meds. i never took norco but i was on lyrica and my memory really suffered.
    maybe a spiney who takes norco can give feedback on its affect on memory.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Welcome to our forums. Sorry to hear about your continued pain and problems. I take Norco and MScontin ... but I can't remember how it affects my memory .....

No seriously ... have you reported this to your regular doc? Have they declared your fusion a sucsess? Any other meds?

Any other medical problems that could be a contributing factor?

Please check in with your general internal med doc if you haven't already.

Keep us posted!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I have been given so many types of med to try and I recently tried Lexapro with a very bad reaction kind of like the one I had with Lyrica

I'm sure my Doc thinks it's all in my head thats why Lexapro
  • :))) I Had a spinal C5 & C6 fusion in 2006. I felt much better until the winter time came and the 2nd car accident the following summer. Just because he have something replaced does not mean that ALL your problems will disappear. Hopefully things are better than before the surgery. It's also important to be on appropriate pain medication. Lyrica was a disappointing joke, it made me mentally unstable and did nothing for pain. I don't seem to do well on dual medications, my doctors just need to focus on the pain and that only. Once the pain is under good control the anxiety and depression leaves. I wish you the best, keep the faith and stay as positive as possible.
  • Your comment is very helpful and it is so true about Lyrica

Thank you so much it's just the thing I need to hear
    God Bless
  • Hi Billy-Bob,

I am 41 and had an anterior disectomy with fusion of C-5,6 in July 2009. I have had no relief since the surgery and the pain is worse. I am very active and pain has changed my life. I usually wake up pain free, but simple things like cooking, sitting at a computer, looking down, etc can trigger the pain. The pain is at the base of my neck and burns like fire. If I don't stop the activity that caused the pain, I get spasms and I also have swelling.

My surgeon did a myolegram last mt and it was normal. He said the fusion looks good but I want to know what is causing my distress. I am also under lots of stress and that does not help. My therapist can see the swelling and spasms. I now have pain and soreness in my thoracic spine.
    I also feel like my surgeon does not believe me, but he says he does. I have gone as far as d/cing all of my meds for an entire mt, but no change in symptoms.

I truly understand what you are going through. I will see my surgon again in 2wks and I want answers. I hope you find answers and relief too.