Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

stabbing pain in my back and ribs after coughing

angelaangel Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I have thoracic pain every day with my poorly back but a couple of weeks ago I was unwell with a really bad cough. I must have pulled a muscle or something while coughing because for the last week I have had a sharp stabbing pain in my ribs. It started at the front but has now moved round to my back and I am in loads of pain, right under my shoulder blade. It hurts to breathe deeply and every time I move it feels like someone is stabbing me. I've been taking anti-inflammatories all week but my pain is getting worse. Should I be going to see the doc or just rest and take some of my diazepam that the doc gave me to relax my back muscles?
advertisement

Comments

• i can speak as a person who has suffered from the type of pain in the ribs you experience. and yes any small movement can be extremely painful. and it does takes weeks to subside. but what bothers me is that you have had coughing so based on those two symptoms i'd get quickly to your physician.
  • It sounds like pneumonia. You might need steroids and an antibiotic to clear that up. You could have pulled a muscle coughing too hard but if your still sick and having trouble breathing, get your butt to a doctor!
  • I HAVE THIS,WORSE ON MY RIGHT SIDE THEN THE LEFT,AFTER SCOLISOIS SURGERY IT'S ON BOTH SIDES AND WHEN I COUGH,IT FEEL'S LIKE MY RIB'S ARE BROKE.

SPINE DOC TOLD ME IT'S ALL INTERTWINED WITH MY SCOLISOSIS..

I'D HAVE YOUR'S CHECKED OUT,EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.gOOD LUCK TO YOU.