Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how fast does stenosis worsen

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
Three years ago i had an mri of my spine prior to being sent to a neurosurgeon for an operation on my neck. My neurologist did an mri of my complete spine looking for stenosis.At that time i only had stenosis in my neck area which they operated on.Now a few months ago i had an mri done of my lower back area because of severe pain,numbness in my legs and bladder frequency.The mri showed moderate stenosis in my lower back now.I was just wondering if thats unusual that it seemed to happen so quickly.Everything that i have read on the computer said that stenosis is a slow process,but this seemed to happen fairly fast.

• Hey Tam,

Not sure "how fast" it can occur. I know with me it progressed (MRI reading wise - same radiologist) very quickly (less than a year from mild to "chronic and moderate") in my lower neck. My upper is more narrowing due to Osteophytes, but they came on fast too. The stenosis in the top of my neck hasn't changed much in the same year.

My NS is going to do a "full spine" MRI on me in a month or so as I lose my feet when I sit, or if I don't move when standing. Bladder, no, bowel yes now. I am adjusting my diet first to be sure it isn't caused by age changes/diet. We are all different. Some folks from what I have been able to research, stay at a 'certain' level with Stenosis, others it goes nuts! Like cancer, slow growing or out of control. I wish I could help you more, but our bodies are fickle at times!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • i appreciate the comment.My stenosis in my neck advanced quite quickly causing all kinds of problems so when i found out that i had moderate stenosis in my lower back within a few years it really hit home that i may end up with alot of my problems returning after i had finally gotten rid of them.I've had some health care professionals tell me not to worry but there not the ones who had to go through all of my problems the first time round.Obviously they don't have back problems.
  • As I mentioned, I will be getting an MRI in the next month or so of my "whole" spine due to issues I have been having in my thoracic and lumbar portions of my back. I have a "rib" brace I am using now for my lower chest as without it, a sneeze, cough or just leaning forward, yowza in the bottom of my rib cage! I can feel the ribs are moved forward of the other ones, so this should be fun!

Tam, I am beginning to feel the old saying of "it rains, it pours" when it comes to some of us and our spines. Hopefully you won't progress too quickly. I think some health care professionals, when they don't know, will err to the side of "kind replies" verses those with knowledge. I guess they don't mean ill by it. It's just frustrating sometimes.

Keep us posted if you get diagnostics as to what is going on. Take care. I will have my fingers crossed for ya!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Seems to be one problem after another with me.Its like a big spiral that never ends.My husband is getting frustrated by it all again,i can see him slipping away like he did the last time.After my surgery when things were going well with rehab we seemed to get much closer again but as the problems mount again i can feel him getting farther and farther away.He just doesn't seem to know how to handle my problems.Why should he i have enough trouble handling them myself.
  • Thanx For sharing your story with us
This discussion has been closed.