Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The dumbest accident and now I'm scared

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:S

Hey spineys. As I posted on another topic, today was the day I going to do some Christmas shopping. Since I live in NYC (which is entirely too rude and crowded for holiday shopping), my sister drove me about 45 miles north. We went to Walmrt as our first stop. Shopping was great. I spent about 1.5 hours there (the longest I'd been walking yet). I was tired. We walked to the car. My sister unocked the car. I have a Jeep Cherokee. I opened the trunk door to start loading the bags (light ones only). Would you believe that stupid door dropped right on my head!!!!! I am 6 weeks post cervical spine surgery. My doc told me Thursday that fusion hasn't even begun. The pain (which I still have after 4 hours) is running from the base of my skull to the middle of my back and my left leg is tingling. I took 1 Vicoden about 20 minutes after it hapened and another about 10 minutes ago.

I'm scared. Do you think there is a chance I did damage to this fusion??? I had multiple level ACDF with cage and titanium plate. What scares me is the pain that is running down my spine. I'm home alone now. Oh gosh.....I hope I fall asleep soon. All this because I wanted to get the little ones gifts before the snow came and I knew I'd be stuck in the house for days.

Please...let me know what you think. My hands are shaking but I don't know if its cuz I'm freaking out!
advertisement

Comments

• Oh dear...it is the freaky things that happen that we are not expecting -- a good reason why we hang close to home for the first bit of time after surgery.

Have you iced? I don't know about cervical surgeries, but my surgeon told me that the hardware is designed to withstand a fairly medium- impact car crash and that it should not break or be damaged...but who knows??

I would guess that your spine is sore from the trauma of the "accident," but is also very tired from your outing. Walking on this hard concrete floors for over an hour is a jolt to your whole spine...I imagine you would be sore tonight even if you had avoided the tailgate...If you don't get any worse, I would call your surgeon Monday morning and run it by him. If you develop problems overnight, you might want to go to the ER to have it x-rayed and checked out....

Sorry this happened...you were so looking forward to the outing.

Gwennie
  • Thanks Gwennie. I will do just that...keep an eye and either go to the ER or call my doc on Monday. I think I'm having kind of a late reaction because I can't stop shaking. That doggone door was so heavy. My sister was shocked. Like she was ready to take me to Northern Westchester Hospital or something. Well, that would've been convenient since my doc has priviledges there. Just kidding. I'm trying to take deep breaths.

I was already tired when this happened, doing all that walking. But you're right. I was sooooooo looking forward to this. That's it. Whoever has no gift, has no gift. They'll get a card and cash. I'm not going back out. We're expecting about 9-12 inches of snow. I can't believe the mid-atlantic states got more than we're expecting to get up here.

Have a wonderful holiday. Christmas isn't about gifts anyway. Its about celebrating life! So I celebrate life and the reason for it!
  • I'm so sorry this freak accident happened.
    Crazy.

Are you in pain or more headache/nausea? I'd be worried about a concussion too. Make sure you wake up every 2 hours just to be sure. Do you have anyone that can call you to check in on you? I can do it if you want to PM your number.

It does seem that the long day + hit on the head is enough to have overdone it.

The shaking is scary but maybe that is from anxiety of the incident? Can you call your doctor's urgent service to see if they will call you back for advice? It might be worth it if you are not feeling well in an hour. Just tell the on-call doctor what happened to see if you should be concerned.

Clearly you cannot drive yourself in this weather but might be worth peace of mind to just speak to someone.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Did you use a cervical collar post surgery? If so maybe wear it until you can get in contact with and see your doctor.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Oh Dehoyos,

So sorry this happened to you. I recall after my 1st fusion I fell down the basement steps and sideways landed on a shelf!! I just watched how I felt for a day or two (ok), but being a bit wiser now I should have been more concerned and at least called my Dr., talk about my head in the sand!

If you feel worse there is always the ER, but I would definitely call your Dr. on Monday and tell what happened. I hope all is fine, let us know how you are doing, please.

I like to think I am being careful after this fusion, but who could foresee these crazy accidents?
    As for your shaking, hopefully its that your body/mind is just reacting to being so upset about what happened, (rightly so). Keep us posted.
  • I'll keep you posted. I just took a Valium for the spasms. I was never given a cervical collar. My daughter had suggested I buy one just for today, so people would know not to bump me. I didn't. If I had, I'd at least have had that support on the one hour ride home and now at home.

Darn...why didn't I just stay home???????? So stupid!
    Even if you are feeling better maybe go in just to get an xray. Just in case.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I think you should call your doctor. He has an answering service that will get him the message and he will call you back if he is worried.

Try to calm your nerves- hugs,

Julie
  • I'm so sorry to hear about that freak acident!
    Are you feeling any better by now? Pain wise and
    stress wise? I have no idea what to suggest as I am still aprox 79 hours away from my surgery.
    I have to ask, why no collar? That seems so scarey!
    Also, in another of your post you talked about trouble sleeping and waking od CHOKING. This scares me. Is it typical for ACDF during recovery?
  • Oh no! I hope you are feeling better by now, or sleeping soundly. I would put a call into your doctor's emergency line honestly. Can you ask your sister or someone to purchase a soft collar for you and bring it over? It may help stabilize the neck until you feel better, or until your doctor calls you back and talks to you.

Talk to you soon, hope you're doing better.
  • is right as usual. Your hardware has probably held you fast and prevented any major damage from happening. However, that doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt and all your soft tissues that surround the area are most likely a bit traumatized. I think you're doing the right thing -- up the pain meds a bit, and take a relaxant like valium. Ice would probably be a great idea. Take it easy tomorrow too. Hopefully, you'll feel lots better. If things get worse, or you don't feel better by Monday, give the surgeon a call. Don't beat yourself up for going. Sounds like you would have been fine but a little sore and tired, had you not gotten bopped by the door. I hope you feel lots better soon.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • The choking I do not think is common...at least not in sleep. That was just a weird moment for me. The sleep issues seem to be fairly common but it isn't everyone. You'll read about a lot of folks who sleep fine after the first week or so.

My doctor believes that the use of a cage as well as the titanium plate give enough stability to the neck area and reduces the need for a lot of PT when the time comes. If you get a collar...USE IT! Too many times I've turned only to have pain remind me that I'm not supposed to.

I pray your surgery goes well- beyond expectation. Keep us posted.
  • Thanks all for the posts. I'm hurting like crazy this morning. I just put a call into my doctor's service. We had a crazy snowstorm. Where my doc lives, its like 24 inches of snow!!!!!

Alas...I have found the cure for sleepless nights. After getting knocked on my head (hard too!), 2 Vicoden and 1 Valium and I can't even remember if I closed the laptop! I was out like a light, even as I was planning to call the doctor. My husband had to wake me up this morning to see if I was ok and let me know that despite the snow he had to go visit a lady at a local hospital who had taken a turn for the worst and her family is trying to dig out of their driveway in NJ and get to NYC.

Y'all made me cry. OK...the pain made me cry too. The concern was truly touching. This morning, I have less range of motion than previously and I'm still having pain despite all of last nights drugs. In my sleep, I was moaning (which would wake me up for a moment) because it was hurting. Maybe I'm being a chicken or overdramatic...I'm not given to that but drugs change a person, ya know????? ha ha.

I guess what scared me more than anything is that I looked at that xray and I could hear my doc saying (over and over...must be the drugs) "The bone hasn't begun to heal". I had a dream about going to the ER and my doc saying we had to operate again. I'm glad my husband woke me up this morning!

NoseOT>...sorry, I couldn't handle the drugs last night. I missed our night discusssions. Did you sleep well?

I'll let you folks know what my doctor says. His service answered but couldn't raise the doctor so he'll call me back or his resident will (which is fine...he was kinda cute...woke up to my very own Dr. McDreamy - grey's anatomy). I guess you can tell that although I'm in pain, my sense of humor is intact!!!! Later, y'all.
  • Well....my dr. says I should've have gone to the ER last night. He put a call in advance for them to expect me. He lives almost an hour away from the hospital so I doubt I'll see him with all this snow.

Because I have numbness again in my left hand and pain in from the base of my skull to mid-back, he wants me seen in the ER and during the week in his office. He thinks its possible something might have ruptured....

I'm such an idiot. I should have stayed home yesterday. I had fun but it wasn't worth this pricie. What if I have to have surgery again????? God I hope not.

I'll post later, after the ER. I'm hoping tht because of the snow its empty. NYC hospitals are notorious for long, long wait periods. 6+ hours is typical. I don't have that many books.

gotta go...I cannot believe this. I don't curse...but I've got a few rolling around in my head that seem appropriate. Nah...won't let them loose. I've got character! ha ha...I'm a lady. Trying to find the "bright side".

later
  • Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully nothing awful has happened and you just need to take it easy for things to get better.

I'm anxious to hear what happens. Take care and I'm thinking about you today.

Cath
  • Sorry to hear you are headed to ER but glad you called your doctor. Smart/wise decision.

I will keep an eye out for your update later. Don't beat yourself up. Who would expect a car door to fall on their head? Nothing you could have forseen.

Safe travels and at least now you will get peace of mind no matter what they find.

You do have quite a sense of humor about Dr. MrDreamy.
  • be sure and let us know!
  • I hope you get some relief soon and that you don't have to have surgery again.. Please let us know how you are doing..
    ...over going shopping. You couldn't have predicted what happened. Not to be pessimistic but accidents can happen in the home as well!

Please let us know what they say and I'm sending virtual ((hugs))
  • what bad luck to have that happen. hope you are ok and didn't have to wait too long at ER. just read all the posts and hope everything goes OK.will be thinking of you and hoping for agood outcome- gentle hugs n' loves - paula
  • #:S

Hi all. Went to the ER and THANK GOD I didn't have to wait. They took my right in. I had a CAT scan, but I do not understand the results, other than that I do not have a fracture. The doctor gave me morphine first which worked for 2 hours but then they gave me Percocet which is still working. I've got an RX for that for the next 2 weeks. No vicoden for 2 weeks but I can still take the Valium.

4mg of morphine and a percocet did not put me to sleep. Can you believe that????? I'm still hurting but not as bad and at least nothing's broken. I'll see my surgeon in 2 days and let him give me the results of the CAT scan. I'm going to post the results below. If anyone can tell me what it means...I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for all the posts of concern and the e-hugs. I received them all! Thank you. I'm going to TRY to get some rest tonight. I appreciate you all!!!!!

CAT scan results....
    "s/p ACDF C4-6 with post surgical changes. Artifact from hardware limits eval at these levels. Mild levoscoliosis at C5/6. No acute fracture." What is LEVOSCOLIOSIS?????

I so appreciate all the posts. I'm hurting right now...gonna try to get some sleep early today.

thanks guys. I told my husband about all of the stuff I get out of spine-health and about my spiney friends. We had a LOOOOOONG stay in the ER. Gosh, I thought I'd be left for the night.

thanks y'all.
  • I googled levoscoliosis and found this: Levo scoliosis is the condition where your spine curves to the left more than 10 degrees, and although it is not fatal, nor painful; in the majority of cases it may cause an uncomfortable quality of life for patients who suffer other body pain from its result.

I'm glad the ER went well and you didn't have to wait at all. I'm on Percocet and they help my pain quite a bit. I can still feel the soreness but it takes the edge off. I smiled when I read that all those meds didn't make you sleep because when I was in the hospital for my surgery I was given sooo many painkillers and morphine and nothing affected me at all! I think some of us are just not sensitive to certain pain meds.

I bet you're going to sleep well tonight, though :)
  • I'm gonna have to shorten your screen name....hmmm...what about NOT. As in, NOT in pain anymore or NOT looking forward to driving to PT.

Thanks for looking that up for me. I wonder if that was like that before or its a result of the surgery or what? I wonder.

I hope I sleep well tonight. All those meds and I'm not even slightly sleepy. Groggy maybe. I haven't eat anythiing today but soup. Oh and a few M&Ms. Just not hungry. I am however tired of hurting. My husband made me laugh a lot in the ER, so did the nurse. But he sure didn't know what to do while I was crying because the Morphine was wearing off. He told the dr I was hurting and 30 minutes later he finds my nurse. In 5 minutes she brought me ice water and percocet. I left her a note to that her for being so great. I feel like people should be appreciated for the services they provide. I think they get enough abuse from stupid, disrespectful patients. She was great. though I never want to see her again...ya know what I mean????

Good night all. will check you all out tomorrow!
  • I'm gonna have to shorten your screen name....hmmm...what about NOT. As in, NOT in pain anymore or NOT looking forward to driving to PT.

Thanks for looking that up for me. I wonder if that was like that before or its a result of the surgery or what? I wonder.

I hope I sleep well tonight. All those meds and I'm not even slightly sleepy. Groggy maybe. I haven't eat anythiing today but soup. Oh and a few M&Ms. Just not hungry. I am however tired of hurting. My husband made me laugh a lot in the ER, so did the nurse. But he sure didn't know what to do while I was crying because the Morphine was wearing off. He told the dr I was hurting and 30 minutes later he finds my nurse. In 5 minutes she brought me ice water and percocet. I left her a note to that her for being so great. I feel like people should be appreciated for the services they provide. I think they get enough abuse from stupid, disrespectful patients. She was great. though I never want to see her again...ya know what I mean????

Good night all. will check you all out tomorrow!
  • Glad to hear things are alright. Get some rest and keep us posted.
  • ~X(

You'd think after all the meds I've had today I'd be the least bit groggy. NOT!!!!! I''m wide away and its almost 11pm. Oh and to make things more fun...the batteries of my DVD remote died and I have to wait until tomorrow for my son to pick up AAA batteries! Yay..... (heavy on the sarcasm there).

I hope you all rest well tonight. I'm wondering if this bang on my head set my healing back. Darn...shopping for Christmas was fun but not if it means my surgeon is gonna give me "the speech" and say it'll be a bit longer to recover. That would suck, wouldn't it?

We had quite a bit of snow last night. But thanks to the same stupid Jeep that hit me in the head...we found parking right by the ER entrance.

So...the countdown begins. Valium at 9, Percocet at 10:30. We should put a wager on if it'll work.

A bit of advice to my fellow spineys. DON'T LET YOUR SUV REAR DOOR HIT YOU IN THE HEAD. It hurts like crazy. Ha ha.

Good night all (again). To sleep or not to sleep. That is the question.
  • I'm wide awake too. I took a Flexeril because I totally overdid it today. My mother & I do not get along (actually that's an understatement) and not only did I bend over but I was extremely stressed out all day. If you have the Travel Channel, watch the show "Meet the Natives"... I've been watching a marathon of it and I absolutely love it!

Hope you're feeling a bit better.
  • I'm in my daughter's room and I don't let the kids have cable in their rooms. TV's yes to play their video games. I have the travel channel but I can't sit on my living room furniture becuase its like a vortex that sucks you in with comfort but alas...I can't get up. Ha ha....

I'm going to watch something on Netflix on the laptop. I picked up a Danielle Steele book today. Haven't read anyting by her in years. I've got a good playlist ready on my ipod too.

The percocet seems to be kicking in now, so I'm groggy. I'm sorry you and your mom don't get along. But seriously....work it out. My mom died 3 years ago. We didn't get along for many years. She always picked my sisters over me but at the end...we reconciled and I was the one she chose to be with until it ws over. I think I'll miss her everyday of my life. Hey...she wasn't perfect but she was all I had. My dad died about 13 years ago.

How do you celebrate the holidays? Oh and I talked with my husband today. He says he knows a pizza guy who shipped his pizza to Alaska and it waas good. If I can get him to do this for you, I'll let you know. That would be great, wouldn't it????

Enjoy your marathon. Ahhhh...travel. I want to go to so many places. Nigeria, Uganda, Greece, Israel, Egypt, Italy, Scotland....ALASKA!!!!! I think I'll take a cruise there with my husband on our 25th wedding anniversary.

Hey may your tomorrow be merry and bright! did you get a lot of snow in Chi-town? We got tons of snow. But this is NY...they magically make it disappear in time for school tomorrow.

Night night....

yvonne
  • I see you guys can't sleep....maybe you reach that critical mass where the drugs start working in reverse and keep you awake rather than making you drowsy?

I wonder if you will now get your cervical collar?

I'll be curious to see what your surgeon says about the levoscoliosis. Most places I was looking indicated it is probably something you've had for awhile -- maybe not born with, but developed during adolescence. But on a chiropractor's website, he led me to believe that it can also be a misalignment that could be caused by trauma or accident...so be sure to ask questions and let us know! It seems like you'd need a harder knock to misalign your spine than having the tailgate come down...but who knows?

Hope your pain is easing up and that you have fallen asleep by now!

Feel better in the morning --
    Gwennie
  • Gosh I hope the dr doesn't find anything too serious. Not what you need just before Christmas.
advertisement