Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I fell and have been in pain since.

Amanda LAAmanda L Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello,all haven't posted in awhile. I had my surgrey Jan. 29th 2009. Spondy, with pinched nerves.L5/S1 10 hour surgrey, bolts, screws rods.

Anyway, doctor said that I have fused. Went back to work on light duty in April. Came off light duty in July. I had been doing so good. Lost weight, and didn't have much pain at all, unless I over did it.

Well, a couple of weeks ago went to my doctor, Said I was doing great he wouldn't have to see me for a year.
Wouldn't you know it the next day at work I fell. Have been in pain every since. Yesterday was the worst. Husband took me to the er. They wouldn't do any x-rays. Just gave me a shot of Valium and Daulata.(sp) Had a reaction so was there for a really long time. Sent me home and told me to see my doctor on Monday.

I have an interview Monday, as the place I work is closing. I can't miss this interview. Should I be up front with my interviewer and tell my them my back problems? Or should I just keep it to myself? I don't want to ruin my chances at a job. But I don't know what to do. Any advice?

• If you want a good long term relationship with a new employer, the first ad foremost thing yo have to do is be HONEST. You will find the right words and the right way to explain it.

Sorry you are hurting again. Are you planning to contact your NS office and let them know?

• Thank you, yes, I'm gonna call them first thing in the morning. I work for the state, and applying for a differnt agency. So I should tell them as it will most likely be in my personnel file.

Thank you so much for your response.
    I am just really scared that I may have messed something up, and afraid of another surgrey.
    Thank you again
  • My Suggestion is be honest but no need to disclose everything. Tell them you fell and hurt yourself and ended up in the ER. Explain that the ER told you to go see an orthopedic doctor as soon as possible and they got you an appointment for Monday. Leave it at that. No need to tell them the background at this point of your fusion b/c you really don't know if you did anything.

This way they know you got hurt and it might be serious otherwise you wouldn't have rescheduled. But reschedule. If the company is worth talking to, they should allow you to reschedule for the next day or later in the day.

I actually tried really hard to make it to an interview with a hotel years ago and there was a blizzard . .. I really tried to get there but it was terrible. I had to pull over and call (before cell phone days) and ask to reschedule. I thought for sure they would tell me thanks anyhow. But nope, they rescheduled and I got the job. They were concerned about my safety despite the fact that hotels/restaurants and some large companies expect you to come to work through sleet, rain, ice, snow, etc.

So honesty is best policy but share just enough.
  • Unless it was an exceptionally bad fall, I think it is doubtful that you really caused any damage. Hardware is designed to withstand car crashes, so a normal fall really should not cause the hardware to break, or come loose. Probably it is the soft tissue wondering if it is about to go through another trauma like it did in January when you had the fusion! @)

Believe it or not, you have not fully recovered from the surgery. Particularly when spondylolisthesis is involved, it takes a good year+ for the fusion to grow strong (not just knit together as has happened already) and for the soft tissue to adjust to the new realignment that was accomplished by your surgeon.

Are you icing? If not, you should try to do it at least 3 times per day for 10-15 minutes at a time. Even though it is unpleasant, it really will help.

Try not to worry. I think you'll find everything is still in place -- just a little sore.

Good luck with your interview --

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Yep, I agree with Dnice. Just mention it was an accident and you'll be seeing a doctor but not the history. I wasn't sure if my Long Term Disability would be approved (which it was at the end of November) so considered applying for some jobs. When I got turned down for one they indicated they'd like to consider me in 2010 as they grow I said "Oh, that's fine. I just found out I need a minor surgery so it's likely I won't be looking for another position in the next few months".

I said it so I stay on their list. What I didn't tell them is that it's a major spine surgery :-) If I do well and find I can return to work then they'll have a minimum level of information and not see me as a potential risk. But, if I still can't work after the surgery I can let them down gently.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • but if they ask, I wouldn't lie. I would choose my words carefully in advance. GL