Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lower back problems

fr0ggyloverffr0ggylover Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm 29 years old I've been going to a ciropractor since 1997. When I was 13 years old(1993) I was sleding with friends and Hit a pine tree. I could not feel my legs for about 10-20 minutes. Now the ciropracors can't get L5 and S1 to line up again,,, Just found out I'm haveing TLIF spinal surgery.

I'm a little worried because I'm only 29 years old.
I'm on pain pills everyday for the pain, and my right leg goes numb. My lower back just burns.

What should I expect after surger? The Nero surgen already said I will be in the hospital for 4 days after surgery.

any ideas would be a great help.

• I just got married Oct 3rd 2009 and now can't feel sex.

He is good about it but will that come back after surgery?

• The first few days are the worse, you will be in pain but it will get better. Usually after the 3rd day you start feeling improved. The first week being the worse. Most of the pain is surgical (incision and muscles that are moved/cut).

You say you can't feel sex, do you mean you are numb vaginally? If so did you notify your surgeon?

Hopefully after surgery the nerves will be decompressed and feeling will return there if that is the case. This would be a good scenario for having surgery as well as decrease in pain.

Back surgery requires months to recover, and years to fully heal. Be carefull and be prepared. This site is great source for information as many of us have had surgery and know what to expect.

But also remember everyone is different, everyone heals differently and everyones pain perception is different.
  • If you have already told your surgeon about not being able to feel sex, I would contact him asap. Although it could be nothing serious it could also be an indicator of cauda equina syndrome which is a medical emergency. If you lose control of your bowels or bladder, don't wait, go to the ER.

I haven't had fusion yet so I can't help you with your questions, but keep reading on the board. There are many here who have had this surgery.
  • Have you scheduled your surgery yet? When is it?

Start preparing now for your months of recovery.

t the top of the forum there is a list of pre-op must haves. While I know I could not have done without some of the items on the list, it does go overboard and lists just about anything you could possibly need. I found that by printing it out and reading over it I was able to be a LOT better prepared for my surgery.

Best of luck and keep us updated..
  • I told the doctor, he said to keep him posted. Today we finished x-mas shopping (witch was just hell) my lower back is just burning, But it is done.

surgery is sceduled for Jan, 18th 2010. All night my left leg was tingly, witch for me was odd. but in the morning was a little better.

The not feeling sex the doctor said could be the nerves off S1 the bone holes are too small for the nerve, that is what he thinks but like he said the first day he saw me, surgery will help the pain in the legs, and lower back numbness and pain.

I just hate the wait, I'm not a good waiter.
  • I just wanted to say that you'll find useful information here. Did any doctor offer anything other than fusion? It sounds like your issues aren't with the disc but with the actual vertabrae alignment and pressure on the nerve.

I have a bad herniated disc (mass pressing on L5-S1) and tried Microdiscectomy to remove the piece of disc pressing on the nerve. Either a 2nd mass was there or I reherniated and am going for a revision surgery. If it doesn't work,I'll be headed for a fusion. I'm 40, delt with back pain on/off for 17+ years.

As for numbness - I would venture it's due to nerve compression but yes watch it. I have numbness in my left buttocks, partially in my groin (perineum), down the back of my left thigh, left heel to outer toe. I can 'feel' sex but it's odd on the left side b/c there is some numbness into the groin . . .I'm told to monitor if it progresses and watch bladdar/bowel.

Nerve damage is odd . . .the nerve may wake up quickly or can take some time. No one can tell how well your nerves will do but the key is surgery is supposed to relieve the compression to give the nerve a chance to 'wake up'.
  • the doctor had to rescedule my surgery, no big only back one more week. yesterday was a very painfull day after theropy. Today was painfull but was able to do stuff. in a little while my husband is going to help me do my new theropy.

i also found out that i have a infected tooth so that has to be removed before long here.

why does it seam like my life is not going good right now.
    I'm not sleeping well and the doctor won't give me any help. i'm not in pain just start to dream and wake up and not able to sleep after that.

will see what happens tonight.
  • I'm sorry you're having such a run of bad luck. :( For the sleeping, have you tried anything herbal, like Melatonin or Valerian Root? It may help if your doctor won't prescribe anything. Tylenol PM may help you sleep through the night as well.

Oh, and I'm going to assume your doctor told you this but just in case!... do not take any ibuprofin or anti-inflammatory drugs since you have a fusion coming up. So that means no Advil PM or anything like that either. I believe they inhibit bone fusion. I'm not allowed to take any for like a year after my surgery either.
  • I have my opinion about chiropractors. I think they do more harm than good, but anyways.....

Do you do anything to distract the lumbar spine?
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Well as for what is going on , I have a tooth that has to be removed that is killing me.

I think 2010 better be better for me or i'm in real trouble.

right now I've not been sleeping very good due to the tooth. then the back doesn't help so I've been sleeping with aid.
    in the mornign i'm dead and have back pain. Life really sucks.

I can't wait for 2010 It has to be better then this year.

this is my 2009
    got laied off= March 3rd
    got married to a loving man=Oct 3rd
    found out had to have surgery=November
    got rejected from life Insurance tell after surgery
    got a tooth that has to be removed=December
    surgery is=Jan 25th 2010
  • I think I'm your 2009/10 twin. My 2009 included recovering from 3-lvl ACDF surgery, getting laid off in February, my dog (my best buddy for 10 years) passing away, having lower back/hip/leg pain in February and trying conservative methods (with no good results) until told in early December I need a 1-lvl TLIF. It's scheduled for Jan. 6.

It seems like us spineys go through so much crud in addition to our spine problems. There's IowaRobin who just had to have eye surgery, PapaRon who's battling shoulder issues, PRIESTESS who has personal problems, and TTLC who got some disturbing news today - that's just a few of the many here battling a wide range of problems. The list goes on and on and on.

I'm not saying this to lessen your problems, but to let you know that you've found a place here that can relate to what you're going through on so many levels, not just with your spine problems. We all understand how difficult things can get, how they can pile up on you and we're here for you 100%.

So when is your surgery scheduled now, what's the new date?

Take care, Froggylover. You've found a great place to get the support you need.

• What is it going to be like after surgery? Like sleeping, in a chair or will i be able to sleep in my bed?